• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Shallow Yet?

Kyle Sandberg

Yesterday the north metro lake by my house was 38 degrees in the south end and 41 in the north end...found crappies suspended in 20ft...so no shallow fishies where I was. Hopefully the warm weather Sunday and Monday will change all that! Especially Monday, 66 degrees baby!

fished Martin lake today, in Anoka county. Our first try there. Surface temps from 42 - 49 degrees. Fished from 2' to 16' nothing all afternoon. Still a nice day on the water ! I had read good things about Martin, especially for early season crappies. Odd lake, dirty, shallow, no structure. Reminds me of the prairie lakes in southern Minnesota farm country. We did see a few loons, and a carp.

But hey, the boat floats, I ain't complaining !

Don

DON, did you try by the inlet? I've been thinking about trying that lake out this spring as well. Has anyone heard if any lakes got winterkill this year? I think Martin is subject to occasional winterkill.

I have been finding Crappies in the shallow water for the last couple of weeks. They are sluggish in most cases and will only chase a minnow. So plastics have been out for me and hasn't worked well. Targeting shallower areas will usually hold fish due to warmer water.

yeah, TNFL. If you mean the far north end. Went into the creek a little, as well as that whole north bay out to about 8 feet deep there. I just don't think it has been warm long enough yet. Give it another week or so....

Don