• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Pointing Lab

crappace

We are thinking about getting a pointing lab for our next pup. Does anyone here have info on them? Any help would be appreciated.

We had two Dalmatians and are now down to one. I grew up with a lab but see my self doing more upland bird hunting now rather than ducks and geese. The Dal I am left with has hunted with me but is very afraid of guns and could care less about dead birds. Thanks.

just an opinion but--

I've always had labs and probably will always have them. However, if you primarily hunt upland and want a pointer you may be better off getting a pointing breed. I have hunted over a few german wirehairs and shorthairs. They are great dogs. Not to mention others.

I hear what you are saying verg. My wife is not into Wirehairs and the GSPs seem like they would not last on the ice. We spend a lot of time ice fishing so I am looking for a cold weather dog more than another shorthaired one.

PikeBayCommanche - I shot you an email. Thanks.

I also have a PL and would recommend checking out a few sites.

Do a search for pointinglabs and also check out the site for the American Pointing Lab Association (APLA). And in MN we have a site for the Minnesota Pointing Lab Club.

You can find more feedback and info on these sites.

Crappace there is a breeder of pointing labs down in KS that I know of. One of the guys in my hometown got a pup from him a year or two ago. I haven't talked to him lately but last I heard the pup was doing really well. Very family friendly and loved to retrieve and swim up at the cabin.

Also we have a black lab that just turned 1 yr the end of march. The breeder we got her from both the male and female will point even though they aren't from the "pointing lab" bloodline. Our last time out last year Jas started to point pheasants! That was a blast!! The best part is that she was only 9 months at the time and held a fairly steady point till the bird flushed. It was so much fun I can't wait till mid October this year!!!!

Crappace,

You may want to consider using our new puppy wanted forum. You may find it a very valuable tool to collect information about breeders and kennels. Members may then share information with you about breeders and kennels. Thanks!

Good Luck!

Ken