• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

STUMP GRINDING?

fishinbabe

Does anyone have any good pointers if we were to try this ourselves, or does anyone know of someone reasonably priced near St. Francis? We have 4-5 stumps that need to be removed real soon.

I rented a stump grinder from a rental place in St Cloud last spring if I remember it was around 90 dollars for half a day to rent the grinder and trailer I would call around to your local rental places and see if they rent stump grinders and get some prices the one I rented was a 25hp walk behind it took me about an hour to grind my stumps and thought it was pretty easy project and no more stumps to mow around was also nice if you like do it yourself projects I would call around and rent one.

If you're set on hiring out look through the yellow pages or contact any tree companies in your area and see if they recommend anyone. Lots of people do it on the side since there isn't a great profit in it.

I found I could rent one (I'm in SW metro) for $150 for the day. Its very easy to do. I actually do it for work, but I can't use the equipment for home use. You just fire it up, lower it down and take off as much as you can grind with the bottom 1/3-1/2 of the wheel. Go slow and find the speed that keeps you going forward easily without bogging down. Do that until you're down 6-8" below the grade.

We have a bigger grinder than most will rent out so the time won't be exact on bigger stumps but on something like a 20-24" stump its takes about an hour. On something small, say less than 12" you're talking about maybe 10 minutes of work. Its work doing yourself if you save money. Get a few estimates and then call a rental place.

Only downside to doing it yourself is getting rid of the grindings if you don't plan to recycle them in a mulchbed or something. Then you have to bag or haul them away.

Quote:

Does anyone have any good pointers if we were to try this ourselves, or does anyone know of someone reasonably priced near St. Francis? We have 4-5 stumps that need to be removed real soon.

I refer Haaven Stump removal out of Almelund.

Email me and I'll get you their number.

[email protected]