• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Northbound bird images

I saw alot of nice name brand birds this morning. I was lucky enough to capture images of Fox sparrows,Warblers,Eastern phoebe,Hermit thrush,Kinglets.

These are a few i thought i'd post while i'm looking thru the other 75 images. It is unbelievable how much better these look in RAW form as opposed to JPEG after you convert them,especially the kinglet image. He was 10 feet away and i got him at 300mm,Looks awesome RAW!

Criticism and abuse welcome!

Canon Rebel XT 70-300 lens iso 200 F 5.6>all

300mm,640

IMG_1471-1.jpg

250mm,1600

IMG_1435-1.jpg

300mm,800

IMG_1416-1.jpg

Hey MM:

Really nice! Looks like you had a rewarding day out there. grin.gif

I like the thrush the best. That's a sweet composition, and the reds and blues really set it off.

The kinglet comp is excellent, too, but the sharpest point of focus on the bird appears to be the wing feathers. At close distances with telephoto, depth of field can be razor thin, and I think that's why the bird's eye/head is a bit OOF.

If the wings look sharper on a computer monitor than the head/eye, the same relationship will exist in a print. You can, however, selectively sharpen by lassoing the eye and sharpening it. I use that technique pretty often with good success. In fact, I'd sharpen the whole image just slightly and then lasso the eye and sharpen it until it's almost blown out but not quite, and see how that looks to you. If you sharpen the whole image too much, the patterns on the wings and tail will really go nuts.