• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Early Season Crappie Location

huntfish44

I was just wondering if there is incite that anyone would like to share about narrowing the search for some early crappies. Its always good to become more educated!!

Remember Practice Selective Harvesting, Fish are natural resources!!!!

I agree with what Crappie Kid said. Also look for timber or pencil reeds in shallow water. Some times a shallow bay with emerging lily pad roots are good as well. Always a good spot is the adjacent deep water to where the fish spawn, if you know where that is. Weather plays a factor as well; you're more likely to find them in shallow, dark bottomed bays feeding when you've had a couple days of sun, and warmer weather. If you have that type situation, with some steady wind, fish the wind blown side as the warm surface water will be pushed to that side and it will have much warmer water.

The same as what was already stated, with the addition being some type of inflow from a stream or creek. That helps bring in warm fertile water that's rich in O2.

head for shallow bays with thick bush piles right on shore near any running water movements, like spring run offs, fish 12" deep next to the brush piles on the northern most parts of the lake, over here in albert lea crappie bite is on and very hard hitting action, last nite for starters one after another were all done in 30 mins, letting the minnow swim freely on the hook no sinkers just a tiny bobber.set the hook 18" away from the hook. if u need more info contact me at [email protected]

I fish them with a crappie jig and plastic- there is no need for a minnow in the spring, they are very aggresive. If they are finnicky I just down size the jig. Remember, these fish are spawning so Practice catch and release, or at least release the big ones. These fish can be absoloutly decimated this time of year beacuse they are so vurnerable.

you should seen what was pulled out of the ice during the winter when the carp harvesters were down here, they hardly found any carp they did take out 18,000 lbs of them that one day. they could beileve there eyes when they had nothing but huge crappies, catfish and even tons of walleyes they estimated 50,000 lbs of crappies and other panfish, not only that catfish rangeing from 1lb to a huge wopper catfish of 30lbs, lots of walleyes that were stocked from a few yrs ago from winter kill about 3 or 4 yrs ago. this lake has constantly high levels of panfish, walleyes are booming too at high rates, when they did stocked 4.5 million walleyes fry they are now 18" fish or better i know i just got mine back, a 31" walleye caught on sept 7th 06.

Quote:

Remember, these fish are spawning so Practice catch and release, or at least release the big ones.

Correction, Crappies and Sunfish don't usually spawn for at least another month. You will know when they are spawning when the males turn almost black.

They are in the warm bays feeding right now because that is where the food is. The females are full of eggs though, so please release the larger females.

Thanks,

Nels

Quote:

the point is they are congregated, and vernerable. Please people, practice catch and release, ESPECIALY on the smaller lakes.

The only real solution is to have a yearly limit, and fill out a counting tag. (like a deer tag)

Ifs and buts can be thrown around a million times. One can argue not to keep spring fish because they have eggs. Well then, why not release all fish in the winter, because in the spring they will have eggs.

People get upset when someone or a group (family) catches a few "easy limits" in the spring, but they may only keep 40 fish a year. While a very capable angler may only keep "a few for the pan" but over the coarse of a full season may add up in the hundreds. It seems hypocritical to me. Leave them alone in the spring so that "I" may catch them all year.

I do practice selective harvest and support it. If you are extremely passionate about it, contact the DNR or your legislator.

Quote:

The females are full of eggs though, so please release the larger females.

Ok newer guy here, how do you tell the difference between a male and a female? I put back 99% of what I catch but I would like to keep a few now and then so I want to make sure I am doing the right thing.

Not sure if this is 100% accurate, but with Bluegills, the males can fertilize numerous nests of eggs, so when fishing during the spawning season keeping all males isn't necesarily the best practice. Just something I read.

Its hard to tell the difference until they are spawning. Before the spawn, if you have a male and female that are about the same length, the female will be wider in the belly area. When they start spawning the male crappies will turn much darker than the females. (almost black) Not sure if thats true with White crappies.

With all fish, if they are spawning you can squeeze them a little and white milky sperm comes out of the males.

Thats been my experience anyway.

Nels