• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Heating/Cooling Supplies

T-ProGuy

Does anyone know where I can find a product called Thermo-Pan, or something like it? Our townhouse has the cold air returns boxed in the floor joists using this product. It is an aluminum faced cardboard that just staples in place. I know I can just use sheet metal, but this stuff seems like it would be significantly easier to install.

I have checked with Home Depot, Menards, Fleet Farm and Lowes and none of them have it.

Its funny you would say you are still waiting for them to get back to you. Thats how 95% of those so called pro's operate. They figure if you aren't having them do the whole job, that they won't give you the time of day. You'll be waiting a long time for your reply. Why do you need thermopan anyway? For return air ducts just put your drywall up over the wall. But if for some odd reason you really did need it any heating/cooling shop can get it for you. Its about 5-6 bucks per sheet.

From talking to the husband of a friend (who happens to be a general contractor), I got the impression that the thermopan (or good old fashioned sheet metal) was needed to close in the cold air returns that will run through the walls and the the joists in the ceiling. Am I wrong on this? Can they just simply be enclosed by the drywall?