• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Clouqet / St Louis confluence

Does anyone have experience paddling the lower Cloquet from around the 694 bridge down to where it enters the St Louis?

I have a book that says the last mile of the Cloquet has a gradient of 20 feet per mile (steep!) and is basically a solid stretch of Class II-II+ rapids.

From my experience Class II whitewater encompasses a wide range of paddling conditions and I'm wondering if anyone can give me some additional info on this run.

It doesn't look like there is a take-out between 694 and that last mile of 20fpm drop, which would be ideal.

btw this would be a early summer trip depending on water levels.

I have been through there numerous times. It's not too bad as long as there is decent flow. You can take your canoe out at hwy 2 on the St. Louis. If the water is low it can be difficult navigating a conoe through. The last couple of miles is pretty much contant class one rapids. The last part where it dumps in is a class 2-3 supposevly, but its not bad.

This is what it looks like in low water.

p1010106ea2.jpg

There is also a decent rapid on the St. Louis right after the mouth of the cloquet, when it real low I portage it. You can go from 53 to there in a full day trip or do a half day from the 8 or 7 brideges. Too bad there are no fish in there wink.gif