• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Hydroseeding

Jiggitt

I'm thinking about having my backyard Hydroseeded. The area is not that large (75ft x 75ft) with a couple of small gardens tossed in. I thought about laying sod but I heard that Hydroseed would be something to consider. The front of of my yard is existing grass and I was thinking if put down sod the front(existing) may not blend in with the new sod. Just wondering if anyone has any suggestions or comments on this. I should add that the backyard is already prepped for new grass.

Hydroseeding can be a great option as long as the price is right. Obviously it will need time to grow and require a bit more care than sod, but it can save money and effort over sod work. It will all match but may not come in as thick as sod would look.

I say its a viable option if the price diff or benefit to you is gret enough. If there isn' much difference I would say do the sod.

Seeded lawns can have blended seed mixes to match what the soil type / amount of sun and amount of use is for a perfect fit. Most seeded lawns do indeed need a little more care on the front side, but much, much less on the backside. They are more resiliant to heat and drought and prolonged activities. They generally require less fertilizer, less water and are more competitive against weeds. The first year of a seeded lawn is basically nurturing it, after that you will understand what the benefits are.

Sod is generally a mix of hybridized blue grasses that require a lot of care to keep it looking like 'new' sod... They are in the business of selling you an instant lawn today, not next year. They require a lot more fertilizer and herbicides than the average seeded lawn (which most of us should consider with the condition of most of the states lakes and rivers). Sod generally does poorly in shaded locations as blue grass needs a minimum of 4 hours of direct sun light a day.

Good Luck!

Ken

I have always seeded any new lawns we have done. I also have reseeded lawns and have been very happy with each job. I have ended up with a very thick lush green grass and have very little if any problem with weeds.

It does take a little more work and also takes somewhat longer to have a finished lawn but its the only way I would ever go. smile.gif

If municipalities allow it I always suggest seeding to sod. Labs hit the reasons right on the head, you will need to spend a little more time on it the first year but your lawn will be healthier and stronger in the years to come. I didn't have the option to seed as our city requires sod. Everyone of my customers that I have recommended seeding to have been very happy.