• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Starting Plastic tackel box?

riverrat56

Micro shads from Exude are a must. White is my go to color but they all work. The Gulp minnows are good too if you can't find POwer Minnows. I buy the 3". You can shorten them without reducing the effectivness. My number one fav is Culprit paddletails but Gander doesn't carry them.

If you go with what the above 2 posters said you'll have a great start. Pay attention to using collarless jigs. They are the way to go.

You can go to walmart and buy a crappie/panfish starter 1.5" tube jig kit. They are a great way to start. Just make sure to throw away the el-cheapo lead jigs that come with the kit as they are terrible. They are designed to tear your tube quickly so you'll have to buy more. Use the collarless jigs as they are much much better.

I'd also get some Southern Pro Crappie Slugs. They are my favorite.

Quote:

I'd also get some Southern Pro Crappie Slugs. They are my favorite.

I just picked up some of these yesterday at Fleet. They were in a clearence bin for $1. I thought they looked pretty good. I bought some albino ones, firetiger color, and a black/silver. I am intrested in trying them out.

CA

Let me know how they work for you. I love'em. They're kind of a do nothing bait but the little tail sticking straight out seems to have an appeal to panfish and they're chunky enough to keep the little guys from getting hooked too much.

If you're into casting for crappies rather than the 'ol bobber thing, then I'm with K Dawg on this...Charlie Brewer crappie plastics. I like black or black/glow tail. Gander doesn't carry them though, so if you want some, you're looking at an on-line order. Match this up with 1/16th oz. black heads (collarless, but with a great wire 'keeper' and good hook) from BFishNTackle.com and you've got a killer combo. I sometimes feel like I'm obsessed with finding the 'best' jig/plastic combo for crappie and have put a lot of time and $'s into that pursuit, with lots of disappointments and wasted dollars. This is the best I've found so far. Put this in front of some craps and you won't be sorry.

Brian