• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

digital SLR questions....

Attn photo sharing thread users:

Do entry level DSLR's have the ability to double expose a frame? and also the ability to leave the shutter open as long as desired (that 30 second stuff is talk)? I used to 'paint with light' on film SLR's and would like to get back to that kind of thing. I cant seem to find that in the specs on that type of thing on the cameras.

thanks for any info....

Hey bigshow:

I can only speak to Canon gear, but neither entry-level Canon (Rebel XT and Rebel XTi) allows for double exposures as far as I know.

Either can be used on bulb for exposures as long as you want, but you'll also need to buy a remote shutter switch unless you want to actually use your finger to depress the shutter button to open and close the frame, which in most situations most of us don't want to do.

Also, long exposures tend to have a lot of digital noise, but the XT/XTi has a custom function you can set to reduce noise on long exposures, and another custom function can allow you to lock up the mirror so you don't get mirror slap vibration on longer exposures.

Bigshow, I love the avatar. I used to watch that show religiously when I was little.

Also, as far as double exposure, it is something you can create with photo editing software. I am not quite to the level of some on this board, but my buddy is a graphic designer and lays out some pretty cool stuff for me sometimes. I would guess it is a lot easier to layout a double exposure with digital than it is with film.

Tom

One can pretty easily superimpose several images in one frame in post processing using a few different techniques, but it doesn't have same affect as shooting multiple exposures in one frame in the camera.

When I used to do that with my old EOS film camera of, say, a pitcher going through his windup and delivery, the body would look ghostly and a bit transparent in each pose, and was a great look. Superimposing images upon each other wouldn't duplicate that look.

Carl, that's cool. How many images can you expose in single frame, and do you know if any of the entry level Nikon DSLRs allow this? If memory serves, I believe my old film camera would allow three multiples in the same frame.

i know at least 3. I'm at work now at not sure without checking when i get home. It is a continuous shooting mode type of thing I believe. It keeps adding until you stop taking shots. if more than 30 secs go by without taking a shot then it stops processing i believe. i will post later tonight.

OK, I found it.

From Nikon: Multiple Exposure creates a single image within the camera from up to 3 consecutive exposures to produce imaginative and even surreal results.

But I don't know if the brand's entry level DSLRs do that, which is what the OP was wondering.