• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

HotSpotOutdoors Podcasts Presents Matt Jonson--Late Ice Panfish!

I listened to the podcast and you both a very knowledgeable about your passion for fishing. And also know you both need sponsors to support your interests. But to over look live bait completely (minnows and wax worms) and go strictly artificial is not steering your listening audience in the right direction.

I was out last night in the shallows (3 to 5 ft) sight fishing until it was dark and the majority of the fish are still very finicky (Crappies and Sunfish). I was out fishing guys using wax worms 3 to 1 with my live minnows on a #8 blue hook or red hook. The night before I was working a ice jig and wax worm and was watching sunfish and crappies come up to the lure and either look at it for 5 seconds and move on or bump it and leave.

If you gave the lure to much movement (giggle or move up and down quickly) the fish would scatter. Going with a plain hook and minnow and let it do its natural drop (remember only going 1 or 2 feet down) or leave it under a bobber and let the minnow do his thing was the only way we were putting fish on the ice. Guys without minnows were dying out there watching us put 13in crappies on the ice.

I know all fishing situations are different, but be prepared to present to the fish what they want. And sometimes that is live bait.

Good fishing.

You bring up a very good point. However, it had nothing to do with sponsors. We are trying to keep these shows to about 10 mins.. the show with Matt already went 12 mins. And in hind sight, your are 100% correct we should have talked about bait. But to be honest.. this time of the year, I dont use a whole lot of bait. This time of the year I drill a million holes and hop like a mad man and am just looking for monsters. I will leave a hole that is plump full of fish to find bigger ones.

Seriously, I love your contstructive critisism. That is what is going to make us better. And we want these shows to be as informative as possible. Please keep in mind, this was show #3... its only going to get better from here on out!

Thanks again!

Deitz Dittrich