• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

southern canoe trip

Just wondering if anyone has any tips for a winter canoe trip. Starting next year some buddies and I have dedided to add a couple or three days onto our winter trip and going south for a canoe trip instead of going to LOW ice fishing. We can bring our own gear but if a river trip we would need to hire a shuttle. We could bring canoes but if renting was reasonable we would do that instead. Fishing does not have to be the main focus, although we want to be able do some and have a reasonable chance of catching something. Bass, crappies, bluegills, catfish, or trout, anything would be fine. A couple of places we are considering are the Pearl River in Mississippi or Okefenokee Swamp in South Georgia. If anyone has done one of these January to March, or has a better idea I would love to hear about it. Good scenery, rivers that can be paddle instead of snowshoed and fish that are big, dumb, and biting are all that we are asking, and we are flexible on that last request. If any one has good ideas for a late winter early spring trip please pass along. Thanks, Fishane

WhiteWater skills required:

Try Big Bend in TX.

As a rule I dislike TX, they got their own motto 'don't mess with Texas '. Driving from North TX to the border don't help. From Mpls we went to KC To Dallas To Big Bend. 3 Days.

The Rio Grande is an awesome river in that area of Big Bend Park. Look to put in at LaLinda. Catfishin is good & the wildlife is cool ( Mustangs, Javalinias, Sows, Cats & People ). There are good flat stretches to float/ paddle & sightsee along, there are canyons so steep that a whitewater shoot is a must also ( no portage ), so consult a map & outfitter. Rapids can be class 3-4 depending.

I believe this is one of the coolest river canoe trips ever. I spent 6 nights on a 125 mile stretch that was a mix of everything a river canoe trip can get ya' with. Highly recommended.

My southern most & I've paddled rivers from here to Baker Lake.

usaually just lurk but thought I could add something here, seeing where I'm located, the Okefenokee Swamp would be great trip, but you might want to think about the Altamaha River also they pull out 50+lb flathead catfish on a regular basis, you also have the Savannah river,and there are several more big rivers with good fishing,ect.. also great HSOforum guys, not many people hear take up yak fishing,been doing yak fishing for the last 4 years,its funny to see them look at me like I got 2 heads when I'm off loading at the boat ramp, then they are scratching there heads when I return with a basket of fish and they have none,,, lot of great info here,

Welcome rts! Thanks for the information. There are some dedicated cat-men on this site that would love to hear more about that location! I've tangled with a 40inch pike in my kayak...have landed a 38-40lber from a boat...would certainly be an interesting time workin big whiskers in a yak!

Thanks for posting, and again, welcome to FM!