• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Mixed dog

Roosterslayer05

So my sister got a dog not too long ago thats half lab, a quarter beagle and a quarter german sheppard. The dog's father which was full bred lab is a good hunter. The puppy will fetch all day and iv been showin him some pheasant wings already he seems like he would take on. Has anyone had a mixed dog that was a good hunter? Im going to try and train him to hunt regardless but i was wondering if anyone has thought's, experience's good or bad ect.

That'd be a Labrador Shepleagle! I saw a guy hunting once who had a German Shepherd. According to him it helped him put birds in the bag. Also hunted with a German Springhair (GSP/Springer cross) once. It was a decent dog and looked really cool. Had the body of a springer, liver and ticked coloring of a GSP and wavy hair with hair length half way between a GSP and a springer.

I say if it can hunt for a reasonable amount of time without tiring out and you can keep it under control and it helps you find and recover birds then I'd give it a try.

I know a friend who has a lab cross, i think he said lab/delmation cross, got it from the pound, and never trainned it and it is one of the best hunting dogs that i ahve seen.

a part lab, can be a great hunting dog! the instinct just has to be in them. a buddy of mine had a half lab that was one of the best dogs i've ever hunted over. she was great for pheasants,ducks and geese. del

I have a lab cross. She has done very well, to me it is not the breed that is important, if it has the will and instinct to hunt, it cant hurt to bring it along hunting with you.

I'd hunt with it. If the dog has fun, it will no doubt be a good hunter. how good may depend on how much you take it out. I've seen a lot of "muts" that hunt well, and had a couple when I was a kid. My current Mutts are a weimaraner/chessapeke, the other 3/4 lab, 1/4 retreiver. Both love to hunt, lab is exceptional, weimeraner is gun shy, loves to hunt and fetch, but always been scared of loud noise.

I'd say work with it and see if you can get it to hunt!

If it doesn't hunt, you should at least end up with a dog that can track and retrieve criminals! grin.gif

Have fun with him...

Good Luck!

Ken