• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Where are the crappies in this lake?

I have a cabin on lake moses up by Alexandria. The lake has some nice crappies and i can catch them in the summer months but i have put in my time and just cant find them in the winter. The lake is bowl shape and little structure with a max depth at about 32 around there. Where would you start fishing to find those crappies? Would you put in your time on the deeper basins and deep holes. Any ideas would be great the lake has pretty much dominated me for a while.

The dnr lake map is on this page any suggestion where to start? http://thoreau.dnr.state.mn.us/lakefind/lakemaps/c0977010.pdf

Any suggestion would be great

Wow, that lake is more like a deep pan than a bowl. In my experience, crappies are constantly moving, especially when suspended. You can sit anywhere along that 25 to 30 foot range, and you will just have to wait for them to come by.

Whatever you can do to attract them will help. Maybe a jigging Rapala.

Once they are there, be prepared to try and take as many as possible before they leave.

Quote:

In my experience, crappies are constantly moving, especially when suspended. You can sit anywhere along that 25 to 30 foot range, and you will just have to wait for them to come by.

I'll second that. I would start by looking for the steepest breaks into the deepest water and expect to see suspended fish. Water clarity and snow cover should help determine what time of day to fish. I like the looks of those long, skinny 30 ft holes on the East and West sides.

The southeast side looks to have the steepest drop off. otherwise look for soft bottom areas in the summer and gps them. any other structure like rocks could be key also.

Depending on water clarity and movement, I would focus on the areas near the inlet and outlet of the stream labeled on the map. Also, areas of cover will eventually hold fish at some point during a 24-hour period.

No one on the lake since last snow. (that I have seen) There was a hot bite which substantially decreased the crappie population of moses. the fish were between 7 and 14 inches. We caught a few, son and I , and wife. We kept 6, 10 and 6 for the three times out. There were about 30 houses and some portables with many catching limits, some daily. I think the most we caught in one evening was around 40, the day we kept 10. It was hoped that we could educate a few in hopes they would allude other fishermen, but a hungry crappie will inevitably bite again. If you're fishing Moses in the winter, the traditional spots (ones with houses) are your best bet. They are consistently good spots year after year, depending on the amount of catchable fish in the lake.

It is my opinion that with the hard hit, Moses will take a while to recover, hope not, but that is my belief.

I know where they aren't tonight, I fished a weed edge in 14-19 feet and caught a few sunnies, but no crappies!!!

There were tracks from one sled to NE side, I opted to take pickup out, only stuck 3 times getting on, none coming off. Getting on toward spring I'll concentrate on the N side, in front of the inlet.