• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

On-going Warn Winch Issues.

78cj5

After a contactor dying at a most inopportune time late in the fall, then being replaced under a recall, my Warn 2500 winch three months later has issues. The in and out switch is not working properly. The “in” button works fine, but the “down” button is working intermittently. I called Warn and I am now going to check the switch today with digital volt meter for proper operation (again). It could be the switch…it could be contactor again. All wiring and connections are in great shape and have been double and triple checked.

The bottom-line is that I am losing confidence in this winch.

Has anyone else had intermittent problems that were not resolved?

They sent me a new contacter and it didnt make any difference. I hooked up a jumper to my winch and that does work. It has to be my switch and they are telling me to go to Artic Cat and talk to them. I Artic Cat them and they told me to bring it to a dealer and for 400 they would fix it. I will get a switch and fix it myself.

Seems to me for a warranty issue everyone wants to blame someone else. So much for warn and Cat.

I have an 04 Bombardier with a 2500 lbs warn winch. Did the recall thing and I am having problems now also with it not going up or down. Hopefully if warn receives enough complaints they will find a solution for this.

Kevin

It's pretty easy to check if it is the switch or contactor. Take a digital volt meter or test light and test the switch. Unplug the connectors between the switch and the contactor. The green wire is up and the black wire is down. Take one dvm lead and ground it. Insert the other lead to the green and hit up on your switch. if you get a reading, your good. Same thing for the black wire. Insert the lead off the dvm and hit down on the switch. If you get a good reading, the switch isn't the problem.

Do you guys think this has anything to do with the contactor getting wet, I thought that was part of the reason they recalled the old one, it would short out when it got wet. Just curious if anyone knows why they are having issues. I just installed a warn 2500 this fall and haven't had problems yet but haven't used it much or went mudding/ gotten it wet.

hill

it should be the 2500 and 3000 warn and if yours is more then a couple years old you probably got the old contactor, which has a risk of shorting out. Go to warns HSOforum and check it out, they will send you the new contactor free for your old one.

I think the recall was due to a fire hazard, not exposure to water. My contactor is mounted under my seat and is Fairly well protected from the elements. When it started acting up, I checked all of the wiring and connections and at that time, it was perfectly dry.