• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Spring trimming

cjthomps

I've had my English Springer now for about a year and a half. I've kept the trimming thus far to a minimum, only keeping her ears and the backs of her legs trimmed up. She's starting to get a bit shaggy so I might want to take her in for a clipping this spring.

Do the mainstream (Petsmart, Petco...) groomers do a good job? Or should I look for something local? I've heard some bad and some good stories about the mainstream outlets. I live in the Fargo/Moorhead area, anyone have a recomendation for a groomer that won't cut my dog's ear off?

No need for a groomer, clip her yourself. If she lets you clip her ears then you won't have any troulbe clipping the rest of her. Invest in a good clipper and have at it. The money you save by doing it yourself will more than pay for the clippers. I use Oster brand clippers with a size 10 blade which gets them good and short without skinning them. We actually have two clippers so both the wife and I can work on the dog.

I do all my own trimming on my Springers. I highly recommend a horse/sheep sheers (got mine at Fleet Farm). Really takes the hair off quick. Going with the grain of the hair (head to rear) takes the hair off smoothly. Does help to have someone with you (at least on one of my dogs).