• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Tip Up Bait Placement in H20 Column

Scott M

Your guess is as good as mine confused.gif I'm guessing you're talking about for lake trout.

You could probably put a tip-up at any depth in the water column to start with, because they can be anywhere from hugging the bottom to just below the ice.

If you are set up to jig and have a flasher, you should soon be able to establish somewhat of a "travel zone" where the fish are cruising. I prefer putting my tip-ups 10-20 ft off bottom to start with and see what happens. If you are in 30 ft. or less, odds are probably best about halfway down.

Everybody's got their own style and way they like to do it, and a lot of it will depend on the lake and the depth you're fishing. Like most fishing scenarios, it's trial and error. Good luck!

I would say to put your bait in the upper 25 feet of the water column. Those Lakers have incredible sight and they will race up from anywhere below the bait. You can bring them in from deeper water to right below the ice. The best bet will be to locate ciscoes on your flasher then put your bait right above them.

Hope this helps,

Justin