• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Pipestone-Clearwater Chain Muskies

My partners chose Little Moose Lodge. Price was important to one of our party and the fact that it seemed like the closest location to muskie fish in Canada to the Twin Cities.

What is the scoop up there? What I have found is that it is a clear water chain and it doesn't seem to get a lot of muskie traffic. Did we choose poorly?

Mike

Clearwater has some real good muskies in the lake, but at different times of the year there is alot of traffic on the lake. It should be ok that time of the year though, typically there is alot of boat traffic when the summer cabin owners and family vacations are taking palce in July & August. Not near as much traffic on Pipestone and real good muskies, but gets costly boating up everyday and paying the portage($25perRT). I have an outpost cabin located on the far end of Pipestone if you are interested in the future.

Lucas - Gateway North Outfitters

www.gnofishing.com

Lucas is right about the traffic on clearwater, there are lot of resorts and a ton of private cabins. I see alot of traffic on clearwater starting mid-june. The best muskie fishing is located from the gates ajar area of pipestone, the indian reef area, the north arm of pipestone and schistose area. You can fish this area from little moose, but you have a $25 RT portage fee and you will travel between 20-35 miles each way to fish these areas. The best times to fish this clear water from my experiance at the time of year you are going on your trip will be day break until about 8:00am and then the last 2 hrs of light. Unfortunatly the portage does not open until 7:30am and closes at 8:00pm. With the long boat ride and the portage hours, it would be impossible to fish these area during primetime. If you like the system once you are up, your group should look at staying a little closer to the better fishing.

There are also some inexpensive places on LOW with great muskie fishing, with much shorter rides to the fishing.

Good Luck, bring alot of gas with you.

Matt or Lucas,

Do either of you guys know of the Trout Bay Camp on the Pipestone chain? It is not far from the Happy Landing Lodge. My godfather was a part owner in the camp and his family still is. I have been hinting to them to bring us back up there for a trip. It has been about 28 years since I was a young boy when we last went there as a family. What an adventure, it was so beautiful, secluded, and the fishing was awesome. My family were not great fisherman but we ate lots of walleyes while we were there. Man, if I would have known then what I know now about musky fishing. We used to just watch big sows lay in the shallows sunning themselves. Some day I will be back!!

Sorry if I rambled on, just reminising about good times of my childhood.

Does anyone know if there is there anywhere else near that area besides the Happy Landings where someone can stay? They are alittle spendy for my budget.

I do know the Trout Bay Camp, pretty good friends with a few of the owners. I actually have an outpost cabin located just past Gates Ajar area. It is very reasonably priced and has hot & cold running water and shower. There is a generator for the lights, fridge, & chest freezer as well. Do you know Al Bachel? His boy and some friends stayed the cabin for a winter lake trout trip and had a great time and caught some beautiful trout. If you want more info email me

[email protected]

www.gnofishing.com

Lucas Adams - Gateway North Outfitters (807)482-1388

I caught my biggest muskie hardly even a stones throw away from superbee's cabin on Watson Bay. We laid it on the middle seat of a Lund S-16 and it reached all the way from one side to the other. 46 to 47 inch's! Believe it or not, I caught it on a #7 Shad Rap using 8 lb test TFI Camoescent line. grin.gif 1DIRTBALL wink.gif

Krats, I stay with the Bachel's at Trout Bay every year, and was with the group that went trout fishing with Lucas last week. We see huge muskies every year when we fish for them, 45"+. I would definately look into staying with Lucas at his outpost as it is very close to some real good fishing for all species.

That's right. The wind was terrible to, that made it miserable out there. Cut some firewood at the cabin one day and thought I'd fish a little bit after. That didn't last to long, missed a couple trout and thought that's enough. It's getting nicer each day now. So , I will be going fishing again.

Lucas did you do your trout fishing somewhere close to your cabin? Never tried it down in that area. I always went up by that cabin I was staying at in the middle of the NW arm. We got so many trout up there that we never needed to try anywhere else. grin.gif 1DIRTBALL wink.gif

I mainly fish the big part right out in front of my cabin and few spots just starting up the arm. Never had any need to go any farther up than that. I usually get the biggest ones in the big part out from my cabin. I know alot of people fish up the arm though. The biggest thing is just work different depths, sometimes it takes a little bit to figure them out, but I have always had good success there. Do you have a spring trip planned for Pipestone, maybe I'll run into you up there.