• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

TENDER QUICK ON RIBS?

I have cured and smoked ribs in the past using a brine and rubbed with tender quick they kind of taste like ham with bbq sauce on them. I prefer the dry rubs then I smoke them with apple or maple wood at 225ºF for 3 hours spraying them down with apple juice every hour, then spray them down good once more wrap in double foil and either bake or keep in the smoker for two more hours. I can give you my dry rub recipe if you want.

The Tender Quick has sodium nitrate in it which is a cure.

Sodium Nitrite is an other cure but in used different applications like ham and beacon. Either will give the meat a different flavor and appearance. So depending on what your cooking you may or may not want that. I'll use sodium nitrate in my brine when smoking fish and chickens. When I do a chicken I'll inject them instead of an overnight soak.

A basic brine would be 1 non iodized cup salt to 1 gallon of water. Use Tender Quick if you want the Sodium Nitrate characteristics. I'll often add 1 cup brown sugar to that brine, from there you can add what ever spices if you want.

I've made my own rubs but have been using Famous Dave"s rub and really like the flavor.

If your cooking ribs you could use that rub, I add brown sugar. Wet the rib down with vinegar then apply the rub with brown sugar. Wrap with tinfoil tightly so its sealed but before doing that add a few tablespoons of vinegar and bake at 250 for a few hours. Next throw the ribs on the grill with your favorite BQ sauce. What you what to do is not really cook the ribs but thicken the sauce and incorporate the favor into the ribs. Careful not to burn the sauce and don't over cook the ribs.

BARBECUE RUB:

2 cups sugar

1/4 cup paprika

2 teaspoons chili powder

1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper

1/2 cup salt

2 teaspoon black pepper

1 teaspoon garlic powder

Combine all ingredients in Tupperware or shaker and use as "rub" on your meat.

BABY BACK OR SPARE RIBS:

rack or racks of ribs

Barbecue Rub

Apple juice in a spritzer (New Plastic Spray Bottle $1.00)

2 or more cups BBQ sauce, your favorite.

Peel membrane off the back of each slab then rinse and pat dry with paper towels.

Take the rub and lightly coat both sides of the ribs.

Pre heat smoker to approximately 250 then add your smoke chips.

place ribs on rack and spritz them with apple juice repeat spritzing once an hour for the next 3 or so hours, when the meat is a nice dark color, spritz one last time and wrap tightly in foil.

Let ribs cook in foil for another 2 hours (No smoke required here), giving you a total cooking time of 5 hours.

You can feel when the ribs are tender (They bend rather than bounce back).

Unwrap ribs from foil and place them on cutting board.

Brush on your room temperature BBQ sauce slice into individual ribs and serve. Or serve sauce on the side.

Or just eat them and look at the sauce.