• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Winchesters .25WSSM?????

joe_stack20

Quote:

Anyone got any thoughts on this rifle/caliber??? My dad is thinkng about starting to look, and i just really dont know what to tell him. Any thoughts would be great!

Joe

Two words: Outstanding caliber! I've had one a couple of years and have taken 6 deer with it ranging from 40 to 300 yards. When I lived out west I used a 25-06 extensively but didn't bring the gun with me to Minnesota. So, as a big fan of the quarter bores, I started looking at the 25 WSSM. Ballistically, it's a 25-06 in a smaller package (I have a Browning). The terminal performance on deer is tremendous with the 115 grain ballistic tips. I haven't tried any other bullets but I did see that Winchester was now loading a 110 grain bonded bullet, which I may try next year.

In summation, if you're looking for a light kicking rifle that can really reach out on deer or pronghorn, I wouldn't hesitate for an instant. I've shot a lot of game with everything from a .22-250 to a .338 and the WSSM is one of my absolute favorites. No, I don't work for Winchester or Browning. smile.gif

I'm sure it's a fine performer, but I tend to be a traditionalist in many regards.

I doubt calibers like .243, .270, .308, or 30-06 are going away anytime soon. Not sure the same can be said for some of these newer cartridges.

Mine is a .270 and it works great. However, it's darn hard to find an all-around more versatile rifle than a 30-06. One can find everthing from the 55gr Accelerators to 220gr supertankers, from managed recoil to light magnums, and pretty much everything in between.

Some ppl have a very hard time adjusting to change! And its a huge change when you tell them that there 243, 25-06 or even 30-06 for that matter are being out done! Sure theres guy on here that will argue til there fingers are trembeling to much to even type that there great caliber from 25 yrs ago is the next best thing to sliced bread! I've shot and owned just about every one of them out there, and can say that what ur looking at for the game in which you intend to pursue is an excellent choice! Leave it to the pros at Winchester to bring another great caliber to there already extensive line of fine rifles! I for one can say, dont listen to anyone that tells you that this caliber will not perform as well if not better than any of the comparable ones out there! Good luck with ur choice, you wont be disappointed with the 25!

The problem doesn't seem to be coming from the caliber, but from the guns that they're shot from.

Because these are quite hot loads, life expectency in a std chrome moly bbl, is from 750-1000 rds. Winchester wanted to up that, by chroming the bores and chamber.

When a round is fired, the case expands and grabs the chamber walls. This prevents a lot of rearward thrust against the bolt. With the chrome in the chamber, the brass cannot get a bite. Thus causing considerable amount of thrust against the bolt. The bolt is very hard to open.

This is not all hear-say. I've been through it with a couple of shooters up here. I sent both their brand new M-70s back to the factory, and was told this is normal. When I say the bolts are stiff....you have to give it almost your all to open them.

Another problem seems to be the accuracy. Again with the gun. Reading up by those who are much more knowledgeable at shooting holes at 1000yds, feel the M-70's action is just not strong enough to hold the WSSM's.

I could find nowhere that anyone said that any of the WSSM's were not accurate, if shot out of the properly set up gun.

Lets be clear on one thing: The 25 WSSM has the EXACT SAME PERFORMANCE as the .25-06. No one in the ballistics world disputes this.

The .25-06 is a fun cartridge. The "WSSM" brings a shorter, lighter action to the table. It also brings a price tag.

If I could devote one gun to this round, Antelope would know it by name, otherwise, there are many other cartridges that I find surpass this bullet.

Quote:

Has anyone heard of specific guns that are handling this round with excellent accuracey?

As indicated previously, I have the Browning so I can't comment on the problems observed with the Winchester. I can tell you mine shoots 1" groups at 100 yards (off a bench) and the action is smooth as silk. While there may be problems down the road with accuracy, I doubt I'll shoot enough rounds through it ever to notice. If I were a p-dog shooter I might feel a little differently.

Having owned both a 25-06 and a 25 WSSM, I can tell you I love the WSSM. Future problems noted ...

No you can't, which is a problem. Although, the 25-06 isn't at every little store either. Cost is also more than your standard '06 cartridge but good things sometimes cost a little more! I just make sure I have plenty before I leave for my trip.

Unless you shoot a 30-06 or a 270 chances are your not gunna find much else at any small hardware store! But then again I dont want to be like many other ppl either! Usually what happens in these calibers is they only stock the cheap ammo and if your like me and choose to shoot better more spendy ammo there not gunna stock it anyways! But my favorite line I hear from them alot is, "Oh we can order it for you"! No thanks I want it now, not a week later when my hunt is over!

I'd guess the deer I've shot with my .270 likely didn't care if the round was a cheap old Remington CorLokt 130gr or a much more expensive premium cartridge - the net result for them was exactly the same in either case. wink.gif

Perhaps it would be a different story on a more substantial critter.

Besides, in terms of taking a critter, what can a .25WSSM do that cannot be done by one of the comparable "old time" caridges I mentioned?

Aw - forget it. Don't even answer that. As far as I'm concerned it's just another cartridge I have no intent of buying. I'm perfectly happy stuck in the stone age with my .270...

Whoaru, you hit the nail on the head. I was thinking about getting a 270wsm until I really thought about it. The shells are more, harder to find, and won't do anything a regular old 270 won't do. It is all about what someone prefers more than anything. Variety is the spice of life.

Lets all face it guys, any decent sporting goods store is gunna carry the WSM ammo, its really not as hard to find this ammo as some may think! I guess yes some are rite you may not find exactly the ammo your looking for in your local small town Junction store, but then again I hope most have thought enuf and planned ahead to get your ammo before you run out on an outing! As far as the short mag not being able to do, what about the shorter action for faster follow-up shots? I noticed with the long action rifles that I have tendency to pull my check off the stock when I eject the spent cartridge! I would think that would play a definate role in a persons accuracy! Every little bit helps when it comes to accuracy, and Ill take all i can get!