• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Spray on insulation?

ccarlson

Looking at finishing our basement in our house we built 5 years ago. The walk out wall is stud, the rest is block.

Does anyone have any input on going with the newer spray on insulation for the walls rather than going with the standard fiberglass bats of loft insulation?

Since I would be doing it myself, is it possible to rent the machine that sprays it on?

I've heard that more professional insulators are going with the spray on for basements in our area. They say it is a better moisture barrier. They don't use the plastic vapor barrier anymore if they do the spray on. I just wonder, though, if it is a time saving matter for them or if it is really better.

Any input?

ccarlson

I think you would have to pay someone to do it for you. I have never heard of anybody renting out the equipment. It involves a large aircompressor, the heater/mixing unit, I believe two different solutions that mix together for the foam. This stuff is pretty finnicky. I wired a trailer for a guy that was going to do it for a living, and it needed a 100 amp panel. If I remember correctly the mix/heat unit drew 50 amps alone, not to mention 30 amps for the compressor. So either a large generator is needed or access to the house panel to run everything. Also, he told me that the two solutions can not freeze. He had to park this trailer in his heated garage at all times when he was not using it. All of this being said, I don't think it would be practical for any one to rent out this set up.

I did this trailer about two years ago, so things may have changed, like different soulutions that can be frozen, or units that use less electricity, which would make renting out something like this more practical. If you do have someone do it, get lots of bids, ask about clean up, and removing over spray. My friend had a guy spray foam his fish house, and he didn't really clean up after himself, with the overspray, what a mess.

Hope this helps, good luck.

I'm in a similiar situation. Been putting off getting the basement insulated for four years, but thinking maybe it's time next year.

Quote:

rather than going with the standard fiberglass bats of loft insulation?

From the research I've done it appears that unless you go with the spray on type, the recommended method for insulating concrete basement walls is with rigid foam insulation and no vapor barrier . A stud wall can then be set up behind the foam with bat insulation between the studs and then covered with sheetrock.

By gluing the rigid foam directly onto the concrete you eliminate mold & mildew problems that can form on walls with bat insulation and a vapor barrier.

Thanks for the information. That is what I suspected but with the spray on method being around a few years now, I was hoping that there would be a consumer user version available.

It may be time to get out the pink stuff and get itchy!

ccarlson