• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Jiffy Recoil

lakertaker

Broke the rope on my Jiffy 3.0, I removed the top unit off the auger and I'm wondering how to remove the recoil assembly to attach a new rope? I'm not real mechanical (as you can tell) and I did not want to explore and take the risk of breaking the plastic. Nothing in the owners manual.

recoils are a tricky animal to deal with. Don't pull the plastic body out of the cavity it sits in, unless the spring is broken. Just fish the old pieces of rope out with a small screwdriver and then fish the new rope through where the old one came out. Then make a simple granny knot at the end that is out of the center of the the pulley and pull tight. Next, pull the rope to the notch so as to be able to pull the rope straight up from the notch without going through any other hole, then "pretension" the spring by turning the pulley a couple of turns (I believe you should turn it clockwise). It doesn't take much, just enough to pull the handle back to the housing-in fact, you are better off to have the handle dangle just a bit at rest than to have it aggresively snap back. Once the tension is correct, fish the rope through the hole in the housing and secure it with either a vice grip lightly holding it or by having a second set of hands to keep it in place and then tie your handle back into place. Good luck, and if you can't quite get it I noticed that you live pretty close to me, maybe I could help for a nominal amount of beer or $ grin.gif