• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

FACTORY OR RELOADS

I GOT AN DPMS AR-15 223, STAINLESS, FLUTED 24 INCH BULL BARREL 1/9 TWIST A WHILE AGO AND WAS WONDERING WHAT GRAIN, FACTORY OF BULLET OR RELOADS ANY ONE WAS SHOOTING. I WOULD LIKE TO TIGHTEN UP MY GROUPS. I'M SHOOTING 1in. TO 1 1/2in GROUPS AT A HUNDRED YARDS. SHOULD I TRY RELOADING? ANY HELP WOULD BE GREAT.

It depends on how fussy you want to get.

I don't think it is arguable that handloads can be developed for a gun that will shoot better groups than factory.

If you really want to be fussy, read some of the handloading books and get into it.

There are lots of little things that definitely do add up.

Things like weighing your emptys, making sure they are exactly the correct length for your chamber.

Then to work up a load for your gun.

Choose a bullet you want to work with and try some of the best known powders for that combination. Then bring up the grains of powder and continually watch what it does for your groups.

If you really want to tighten up your groups, you will be more than satisfied at the results; especially when you start with a great gun.

I have my .243 mauser with a douglas premium (fairly heavy) barrel shooting .4" groups with an old redfield widefield 2-7.

It's a gas.

Good luck.