• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

lowrance 3500c

Old Guide

Question

I need some info on how to wire a 3500c to a cigarette plugin. (I tried to get a lowrance factory made one at Cabelas.) No luck they were out. So now I'm trying to make one. My question is do I combine both of the black power wires together then attach them to the neg. wire on the cig. plug then ditto on the red pos. wires? I'm trying to use the lowrance in my truck. I sure don't want to screw up and burn it up!!

4 answers to this question

I am not 100% familiar with that unit, but I am guessing that 1 set of pos/neg is to power the unit itself, and the other set is to power the network (ie. the gps module). Your manual (or an on-line manual) will tell you for sure.

If I'm correct, you'll need to connect both sets of wires. If you don't power the network you'll get a message of "GPS Module Not Responding".

More importantly - make sure the cig lighter adapter (maybe even the cig lighter port itself) is fused correctly, with a small enough fuse. The last thing you want to do is get a 5 or 10 amp fuse in there when you probably have a 3 amp fuse in your boat. Especially when starting your vehicle, you could see power spikes then. I usually start my vehicle before I power-up my gps.

Good luck.

Old Guide, you should also be able to find a cigarette lighter plug at radio shack or even Digi-Key that will have a 3 amp fuse built right into the plug itself.

By the way have you been out fishin' much yet?

Del

ib jigged,Thanks,I got one and believe it or not the unit's working!!! Now if I can get to the reefs and rock piles with my truck.... I've been to low twice last week. Both times to Zipple Bay. Wed. wasn't bad but Sat. was slow.