• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Canon users question

I was on the ice late yesterday afternoon and was snapping shots with the new 17-85 lense santa brought me. the conditions were bright. I noticed fine speckling in the view finder. is this normal? doesnt show up in the images so my guess is that is could be related to the focusing screen. but ive never noticed it before...looking for some reassurance that nothing is wrong or if something is what it could be. thanks updated. I have read on other forums that what i am describing is "normal" and it is supposed to assist with manual focus. Im just surprised i didnt notice it before.

3prong: Which body are you using again? The 20D in particular has a grainy viewfinder. It was one of the things they compromised on to offer other key features for the price. I found it irritating right away but got used to it in a couple days of shooting. Now I don't even notice.

yes it is the 20D. i spent alot of time looking through it yesterday into the blue sky and the bright snow...thats when i noticed it the most. the contrast made the graininess stand out. i can live with it and santa"my wife" will be happy the lense is fine. Thanks