• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Ely Christmas Bird Count (pics included)

Steve Foss

Hey all:

Here are a couple from today, when Mrs. Catfish and I helped out with the Ely area Christmas Bird Count. She and I logged 17 species (not sure of other people's totals yet). Not a bad day in the boreal forest.

We were especially happy to find the three-toed woodpecker. They're not uncommon up here, but usually when you go out looking for them specifically, they're never to be found. This one came into a mouse-squeak bulb call. Squeeze it and it sounds like a mouse or young bird.

While I have a few ethical issues with using one, I don't use it for long and then we leave the birds alone.

Nothing phenomenal, composition-wise. Just a couple decent shots to document the day. Both with Canon 20D, Canon 100-400L IS at 400mm, iso400, handheld

1/1600 at f8

pine-in-tree.jpg

1/1600 at f6.3

black-backed-poses.jpg

Steve,both nice shots!........I like the first one ...have yet to see those this winter.........I figured I'd try that mouse squeeker out ..ordered one today grin.gif....been blowing a fox call occasionally..brings in crows but don't especially want a pic of a crow... grin.gifplus....the deer in the area high tailed it shocked.gif