• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Fishing Gear

I plan on some shore fishing on the Kenai for Reds the first week of August and wondering how everyone deals with fishing gear. I will be flying and want to use my baggage allowance for a cooler to bring fish back. Would it be better to purchase a rod in Alaska. I'll be staying near Soldotna.

alot depends on the water and where you will be fishing.

If you are in a area with lots of people. Combat zone. you will need to a good stout rod to get the fish out quickly or you will have lots of grumpy folks near you.

I personally would get a 3-4 piece 10wt fly fly rod for the kenai. Can go down to a 8wt if you got lots of room to play the fish. Floating line with 8 feet of 20 lb maxima leader. It is easier on the hands to use fly line when flippin for reds than mono. quicker turn around with the flippin method then reeling in and casting every time. Your hands can look like you were in a knife fight if you handle mono all day.

with a 3 piece rod you can bring it right on the plan with you. You don't need any fancy brand either for reds.

All you need to do is bring a 2pc rod and carry it on the plane, put your reels and line in your checked luggage, dont bring too expensive of equip with you, a decient stiff rod and a strong reel and 20-25lb test, buy your "russian flys and football sinkers when you get there..and most of all be safe, bring safety sun glasses or clear safety glasses for that matter and USE THEM, when that salmon comes off or the snag comes out that football sinker comes out of the water LIKE A BULLIT! i know a guy that lost a eye fishing there...i hope this helps

Gear can have a wide Range, you can acquire spinning tackle up there....this will be year 10 heading up chasing Reds...for reds you won't be casting the fish are in the flip. But I whole heartely agree Fly rod is the only way to go, I have an 8 wt fly rod 2 piece and carry on the plane with me annually, like using it at home for early season pike.

but my dad swears by his spinning gear, to me just so much fun on the fly rod, worth the money!! Either way it's a blast!! Good Luck!!

Thanks for all the info. Last year I used an ugly stik and casting reel for flipping on the Kenai. It was a loner from a friend who lived there. It seemed to work and I caught my limit of Reds. I also caught one fish that I don't think was a Red. Being a newbie I asked the other people fishing there and nobody else knew what it was. It went back into the river.