• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

23" or 27" rod for crappies?

panfried

I am going to pick up a couple more genz sticks and am wondering weather i should get the 23" or 27" UL model. I have 2 23" UL genz sticks now and love them. I have caught plenty of crappies on them and they seem to perform fine. I'm just wondering if there are any advantages to a longer rod.

I like a longer rod as it is more forgiving when fighting fish... But the downsize is that longer rods are harder to use in smaller ice shelters as you can hit the rod tip onto the shelter on hooksets and such... So I have a combonation of lengths...

Nothing beats a longer rod while outside of the shelter though.. IMHO

Thanks guys! The longer rods it will be then, seeing as i already have a couple of the short ones. I can't wait until christmas myself. I should be getting a new one man scout if Santa thinks i was a good boy this year.

Quote:

I use a HT 36 inch ultra light, I love it for panfishing. Super soft tip with good backbone.

I have the same rod and its awesome. Plenty of backbone, but the tip load is so soft it can be used as a dead stick and the fish wont spit it 95% of the time.. and by the time they do load it, the hook is set. Whn jigging it, the resistence is so minimal from the rod its very easy to detect a bite.

Great rods for crappies and sunfish.. but they dont work so hot for deep water perch! You really need to set the hook to get hook penetration on a hard mouthed fish 30' down with a *noodle*.

The longesr rods along with the line stretch of the super light lines.. its very rare a fish ever gets off the line which is also nice!