• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

2003 Polaris 550 fan classic touring

hovermn

Those of you that followed the prowler string now know that I've purchased a Polaris 2 up 550 fan. Is there anything I should know about this sled, or watch out for? I've heard a few good things about it's reliability, but nothing about it's discourses.

I plan on taking it in for a tune-up right away just for the piece of mind. I'd like to add a warning light for the temp somehow, but I'm not sure if that's possible with a fan cooled. Are EGT gauges my only option? I just don't like the idea of not knowing if I'm about to burn the thing up or not. The dash has a speedo, high beam indicator, brake, and oil lights. That's it.

After the tune-up, I'd like to make an auger mount for the back rack. Maybe the front, but I need to look closely at the setup on the skis. Anyone have closeups of a front mounted auger? I've seen small pics, but it's hard to get any detail. Also, where can I find those neat U brackets that I've seen people use for the auger mounts? It looks like they're rubber coated with clamps on the bottom.

I'm so tired. I'm a wreck from this weekend! Plenty of ups and downs and starting from scratches. Hopefully the hard part's over now, tho... grin.gif Bring on the snow, baby! (after the lakes have time to make some good ice, of course!)

I can address one part of your questions, I would suggest saving your money on the tune up. The main deal with any snowmobile is cleaning out the carbs (you have to do it every year). If you go on snowmobilefanatics HSOforum you can find tutorials on cleaning them. You either have round slide of flat slide (I am not sure which). Once you fiqure it out it is pretty easy and you can save yourself the $100 a mechanic would charge.

Take it from a guy who has tried to pull start to many things to many times it's almost always those (insert 4 letter word here) carbs.

Part of the reasoning for a tune up is that I want a mechanic to do a once over on the sled. Their eyes have 100% more experience looking for stuff than mine and I'd rather start my snowmo experience off on a good foot :-) It'd suck if I took it out for the first time only to get stranded 'cause something silly was overlooked.

Really, I'm just buying piece of mind for myself.

Thanks for the tip, though! It's appriciated.