• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Hunting Age?

lindy rig

Provided you've gone through the training, and introduced your dog to guns before.. What is the earliest age you would take a dog hunting? (talking about duck hunting with a Lab in this case)

8 mos, 10 mos, 1 year?

I have thought the same thing...I have a 22 wk old that isn't scared of guns and listens well during training sessions. I am toying with taking her with me on a late goose hunt. No water or anything. But just being around in that atmosphere. I don't know what the positive and negative effects I should expect from her...I am not expecting a whole lot from her, or even a successful day (Bird Qty wise)...Just a mear learing experiance on both ends and learning curve.

If your expectations aren't too high I don't see anything wrong with taking a dog out in the field at about 6-7 months. I always try to get younger dogs out with more experienced dogs. It is amazing what they will pick up from the older dogs as far as range, hunting cover, and when a bird is encountered how to handle it. Labs may be different, but as long as the dog listens and is old enough to handle a day afield I don't see how it could hurt. My setter pointed 20 grouse her first trip on wild birds when she was 7 months old. She was hunting with her mother, and you could almost watch her observe the older dog, then a light clicked and she went "Ah ha, thats what we're doing out here." One thing to be careful of is to not over do it with young dog as thier muscles and tendons are not done growing and they can blow a tendon or tear cartlidge. Good luck, the first time is very exciting.

If the training/introductions have all been done then I'd go out immediately. No need to wait. By training I mean basics, intro to guns, intro to birds, intro to water, intro to boats and it would be nice to actually have some bumpers or even better fresh killed birds (pigeons?) retrieved from the water.

As long as the intro to guns and basic obedience is well behind you, the earlier the better. I started my brittany carefully at 3.5 months and by 5 months she was in MT hunting pheasants with me all day for 4 days. And she responded great. A note of caution however, treat her like you would treat a kid on a first hunt. If things deteriorate, be ready to make it a short day. Dont ruin the dog over wanting to keep hunting.

Well I took mine out with me for the very first time this weekend on a late season goose hunt, in the field. I just wanted her to experience "our" excitement, the atmosphere, being around my buddies, seeing the decoys, and anything else she could pick up. I had zero expectations on retrieving and mainly wanted her to be obedient...She has had exposure to a goose wing prior, but was very confused and hesitant in the real deal. The obedient part was rocky at first and good thing we had some time to adapt before the geese started flying. But it didn't take her very long to sit still and she actually fell asleep during some parts. I was more than pleased to say the least. I hate wishing time away, but I couldn't help but think, that I wish it was fall of 2007 already.

Thanks again for the posts.

Hunt24-7 - How did you introduce her to guns? Start with cap gun? During feeding time?

My pup will be born early Jan, and will be about 8.5 months by duck season. Sounds like I'll have a good chance to bring her along, we'll have to see how all the training goes... grin.gif

Could start out with cap guns and or other large noises around the house while the pup is having fun......and then move out to Murphs place later this winter and start out at a distance (distracting the pup and having fun) while we are out shooting in the field and keep bring him closer. Even start out shooting a .22 and then move up to a shotgun.

Indy - I didn't have a cap gun, so I what I did was, brought one of our "camper" sauce pans into the house and hit it with a wooden spoon while she was eating.

Another thing I did was... in the training video that I watch, it has a gun shots in it...When we were play fetching in the house, I would have the remote in hand and play that gun shot at a high volume.

As for getting her used to the actual LOUD shotgun noise, I shot a lot of trap this summer. So it was a double bonus, I shot better this year and got the pup used to the gun. I started out keeping her in the cab of the pickup with windows closed, then made a gradual progression. Windows part way open, then all the way open, then being in the truck bed. I suppose, the pickup was at most 20-30 feet away during this time. That was my biggest fear, having her gun shy. I maybe took too many baby steps towards it, but didn't' want to take any chances...