• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Snowsuit

HarryG

I am wending what some of the outerwear that snowmobilers use. I want to buy the Guideware XPG bibs but I wondered how they will hold up in the wind going across the lake. I usually use a snowmobile for Ice fishing, but I do some riding on the trails.

I have had a pair of imitation carhart insulated bibs for 11 years. They seem to keep plenty warm and are water resistant. They are still around for 35-40$. I do have one cut in them from the auger. I would be pretty unhappy if i cut a spendy set up. Although they are stiffer, which would be a negotive for longer trail rides.

Thanks for the info Paul. I am leaning towards the Guideware Bibs to start. Maybe the Parka later. But FM is such a great resource, I thought I would post just to make sure.

Thanks for your help

I really think any "quality" snowpants/bibs & parka are alright for snowmobiling.

From a snowmobiling aspect, I'm more concerned about my outerwear being a little loose so I can move around on the sled and be maneuverable. I usually end up working up a good sweat while riding so outerwear that breathes and doesn't get me "too" hot is important.

What IS important though is a good pair of gloves & a good helmet. Even with handwarmers, the old hands can get mighty cold on cold days. Cold hands or a cold face & head can make an outing downright miserable.

The great thing about snowmobiling is you are mostly protected from the wind by the hood and the windshield. You are also sitting behind a pretty warm motor as well.

You are right about the golves. I have a hard time keeping my hands warm. I have a pair of Leather CHOKO gloves just riding. But even then, I sometimes have cold hands. I need to get new hand warmers but there has not been enough snow to justify it. The heat packs work in a pinch.

Thanks for the info.

Quote:

... that way my other clothes don't smell like exhaust all the time...

Amazing how that happens! I wish I could bottle up a good exhaust smell and spray it on when I head to the office job in the morning. Just nothing quite like 2 stroke exhaust, especially with Klotz oil. Mmmmm...

Right on, Hanson! My favorite part of sledding (ok, ONE of my favorite parts) is the smell of my bibs and coat after a good long ride. Not sure I could go to a 4-stroke for that reason alone!

"Ahhhh...the smell of petroleum in the morning."

- Joe Soucheray