• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Least favorite time of the year

Scoot

"Women, can't live with' em, Pass the beer nuts" grin.gif

Norm Peterson, Cheers

Sorry to all the ladies that actually like to hunt and fish as much as the rest of us, but some women just don't understand. I know mine would rather have me at home that in the stand, I just remind her that I could be in a bar, and that usually gets her.

Good one. And ditto, my wife would rather have me home. But she understands the importance of hunting to me. I've been out many times bowhunting this year without even so much as a peep of "You've been spending a lot of time in the woods, etc." This weekend I'm willing to make compromises as we've have some important family events going on and I still get to hunt the mornings - prime time versus evening in my areas. I still stress the importance of trying to avoid any such events on the opening gun weekend for deer, though! : )

Chuck, I completely understand what your point is/was. What I meant though, was that with fishing you can catch the fish, take a picture, and let it go. That doesn't work with hunting (as you're pointing out), so I'm not convinced the idea of passing on smaller ones will catch on like the comparible idea has in fishing. Again, I hope more people take the approach you have and make similar decisions.

96, I hear ya. I don't mean to sound preachy or like I'm on a soap box. I also am aware that my opinion on this matter is definitely in the minority of hunters (with strictly bowhunters being a definite minority of hunters). Doesn't change the way I feel about it though.

As far as hunting in spots where gun hunters don't go- around home, there is no such thing (at least not where I can go). I'm sure people will chime in and say "yes there is", but honestly, I don't know of a single spot. Several renegade groups go where ever they see deer. If I'm out in a lone tree in the middle of a field and there's a buck 100 yards away from me, I know of several groups of hunters who will either take pot shots at it from the road or run it down with a pickup. Posted - unposted: doesn't matter. I have no interest in being anywhere near any of this, particularly with my home area going from shotgun only to rifle this year (which I think was a terrible move, BTW).

Finally, thanks again for the great discussion and allowing me to vent a little bit. I hope all of you who will be out this coming weekend have a fun and safe time. However, please leave a few big ones for me!!!