• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Nature walk picts.

I went for a nature walk up by my cabin in Grantsburg. These pictures are of the old Paint Mine area just north of Soderbeck landing in Wisconsin. Supposedly it was a mine where they got pigment to make barn paint. Very pretty area.. the picts do not do it justice. I love to take pictures, and only wish I was as good as many of you on the boards.

Anywho... here is the ole paint Mine and area around it.

paintmine2.jpg

paintmine3.jpg

paintmine5.jpg

paintmine1.jpg

And finally, a busy beaver...

paintmine4.jpg

Deitz, I like a couple of these a lot. The first one, and the one with the water gushing out of the pipe. They're harmed by the harsh light, which blows out highlights in the foamy water and casts very dark shadows. Not a lot you can do about that. Would be interesting to try it in the flat light of a cloudy day. That first shot under those conditions would be an excellent chance to convert to B&W for an old-time look. Abandoned structures often are more compelling that way.

I used to live in Milltown when I worked in the Cities, which isn't all that far from Grantsburg, and I traveled Hwy. 35 a lot between Milltown and Superior. Nice country.

Thanks for posting these pictures... My dad passed away two years ago and, of course, this time of year brings back many memories etc. My dad and I used to hunt ducks near Crex Meadows (just outside Grantsburg) and would spend many afternoons grouse hunting in those woods and puddle jumping that pond, waiting for the evening duck hunt... That is indeed a beautiful place, love the pics and thanks for the memories!