• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Link to using high(er) Nitrogen as a fall fertilizer

LwnmwnMan2

This is from the Purdue University, one of the more recognized universities on turf studies.

http://www.agry.purdue.edu/turf/tips/2006/fert1027.htm

This is just a tip, but it's where I've learned, reading their studies, that a high nitrogen app late in the fall is just as good, if not better than a low nitrogen application.

Again, just trying to show a different train of thought, in case people aren't getting the results that they care for, to think a little outside the box.

Over the first 10-15 years of my business, I always ran a 10-10-10 or something like that for the fall. The last 4-5 years now I've been running a 30-0-10, especially since most cities have ordinances against any number in the middle. Most places you can't even buy 10-X-10 or anything.

Anyways, if you've still got some fertilizer left over from this summer, go ahead, put it down.

If you're concerned, just try a corner of your yard, a 5'x'5 or so area, and see what happens. If it looks better, or even the same, then you know next year, that you won't have to buy a "special" winterizer fertilizer.

Again, look at the timing on that tip. It says roughly the first week of November (or last mow), so there's still time.

Also, if you follow that link, there's other tips as well, one of which is not to lower your mower for the last 1-2 mowings for the year, just keep mowing the grass until it snows.