• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

late season. .

fishingmike0770

Me and my buddy were wondering when is a good time for the dog to stay home? Does it get to that point in the season where the water is too cold for the dog to make retrieves and stay warm. I know he would be fine when we go out there but once he gets wet and then sits for a while, would it become dangerous? Another thing, would purchasing one of the camo neoprene vests keep him any warmer?

I would for sure get the vest for him or her. Mine used her's on sunday morning. Saves from cuts on the ice and she doesnt shake. It keeps her dry for the most part where it fits tight to her, so i am sure it helps alot. My cousin doesnt have one for his and she whined and shook alot. As far as how late in the season my seems to be fine as long as there is water for her to swim and not ice, she does get a little hesitant when its cold, exspecially when she has to wait between retrieves.

i hunt my lab all the way to ice up. she does have a neoprene vest that she wears which is 5mm thick. that keeps her nice and warm. and when she is waiting in between retrieves i keep her feet out of the water. that seems to help alot. oh also the neoprene vest helps them stay a float on those long retrieves.

I have a neoprene vest for my brit, it seems to keep him pretty warm even in the coldest of water. Although I sometimes doubt he needs a vest at all, as he has been swimming in Vermilion the day the ice went out the last 2 years with no hesitation at all. I think more important than the temperature is keeping the dog dry when it is on shore. I bring a towel with to wipe him down after his retrieves in the water and he hasn't had a problem yet this year. We'll see when it gets really cold later in the year, but so far so good.