• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Thorne Bros: Gearing Up for Ice Fishing

Ice fishing is right around the corner (well, maybe a little further than right around the corner wink.gif), and I don't know about the rest of you, but I've been tinkering with my ice gear all summer waiting for the day when ice forms once again. Now as we near the long awaited arrival of that first sheet of ice, it’s time to start focusing on a plan of attack and to make sure our gear is up to par and ready for another exciting winter season. I always make a stop at Thorne Bros Custom Rod and Tackle in Fridley, Minnesota to help me prepare for the up-coming ice fishing season.

Thorne Bros offers an excellent assortment of custom-made ice fishing rods, ranging everything from extreme finesse fishing for pannies, all the way to heavy hard-jerkin rods for lakers and muskie, and literally everything in between. Panfish, perch, walleye, bass, pike, catfish, lake trout, muskies… Thorne Bros makes a rod for the situation.

I’m very fond of their panfish line of rods (probably has something to do with myself being a panfish geek) and I truly feel they are in a class of their own. Whether you’re sitting over a tightlipped pod of bluegills with the Finesse Plus and a spring bobber, or insane school crappies with the Panfish Sweet Heart, Thorne Bros offers a rod for any panfish situation. Some of my favorites are the Sweet Thing Plus, Power Noodle, Finesse Plus and the ever popular Sweet Heart Plus.

Moving on from Panfish to Perch, Thorne Bros offers a few perch options that cater to the needs of both the aggressive and finesse style perch angler. Labeled as the Perch Sweet Heart, they present options for inside and outside jigging rods. By inside and outside I mean your location in or out of a portable fish house (there are also outside versions for some of the panfish rods as well). The inside rod provides a shorter handle and the choice of a slightly shorter rod. The inside rod comes in a 28 or 32 inch version. The outside rod provides a longer handle (for better grip/control with gloves on) as well as oversized fuji alconite eyelets to help reduce ice-up. The outside rod comes in a 32 inch version. However, don’t feel like you’re limited to what you read in this paragraph, because you can customize a rod to your liking, and you have a long handle for the inside rod, and a short handle for the outside, etc, etc.

While the perch rods can be used for panfish, walleye and bass as well, Thorne Bros makes several options that are designed specifically for walleye and larger gamefish. The Walleye Sweet Heart Plus is one of Thorne Bros most popular rods. The Walleye Sweet Heart is also offered in an inside and outside version. Whether you’re targeting walleye with a jig and minnow, or a jigging spoon or swimming lure, there is an action/feel that will suit your needs. Choose from 9 options that range in actions from medium to medium-heavy and lengths from 28 – 32 inches (but again, a custom rod can be made). These options allow the ice angler to effectively target walleye throughout any winter conditions.

A line of rods that really caught my eye in recent years was the Professional Plus and Laker Breaker line of Thorne Bros Ice Rods. Maybe this is mostly due to that fact that I’ve been trying to pursue more species, but nonetheless, these more powerful, yet fast, style of rods have really become a part of my arsenal. Choose for a rod that ranges anywhere from 32 to 45 inches, with actions allowing you to accommodate any big game situation. I like working a 36 inch Professional Plus for catfish and pike. Couple these rods with your favorite open-water reel and you have yourself a very comfortable, balanced system.

One last series of rods that I would like to mention are Thorne Bros Dead Stick line. I save these for last because I feel these are Thorne Bros most unique line of ice rods that really offer something that no one else does. As stated on the Thorne Bros website, “A requested custom rod from Doug Stange. Designed as a minnow rod without the hassle of bobber stops or set floats. Limber tip allows angler a visual check of minnow action and detects the lightest of strikes while producing very little resistance to fish. This rod really shines as a stationary rod while you jig with another rod. This solid glass rod features oversized guides for minimal ice build up when fishing outside.” Dead sticking has become more and more popular in recent years, and this rod from Thorne Bros, is in my mind, the epitome of dead stick rods. For anyone who has used one of these, they can vouch for their performance for being in a class of their own. Dead sticking is a technique that has helped me become a more productive ice angler, and for a variety of species and conditions. The Thorne Bros Dead Stick line of ice rods has really assisted me in that productivity.

For more info on Thorne Bros Custom Ice Rods – Click Here

Outside of Thorne Bros many options of custom ice rods; they also offer a store full of tackle and fishing equipment. With several brands and options to choose from, Thorne Bros is packed full of ice fishing goodies!!

See everything that Thorne Bros has to offer by checking out there website… www.ThorneBros.com

Or visit their store in Fridley, Minnesota.

Ice fishing will be here before we know it, and I’m looking forward to another exciting year!!

I can't say enough good things about Thorne Bros line of rods. I love the entire line of Sweetheart rods from the panfish all the way to the Walleye. The walleye is my favorite being a walleye guy. The Dead Stick is truly amazing. I love using it in conjuction with a balancing rod holder like today's tackle rod rockers. They are really excell in the situation.

We talk about Ice fishing being right around the corner but that means that Christmas will be here soon too!!!

If you are looking for the perfect gift for the serious Ice angler than be sure to think of a custom made rod from Thorne Bros.

Their rods are second to none. A custom made rod from Thorne Bros will definately make for a special Christmas gift.

Be sure to get your orders in ASAP so they are ready for the Holidays.

Good luck,

Corey Bechtold

Woo Hoo just order myself a new Ice Fishing Rod there from Thorne Bros eh. I decided to order one the way I wanted it not just one off the shelf. I have loved all the ones I have but now this one should be really cool especially for they big old Green Backs in Selkirk. Hopefully it will stick into a good one this winter for me. Maybe there will be some pictures to follow.

On top of the great rods and great service, you simply have the people. Get to know them.

These are folks that fish year round, just about any species you could think of. They are a great resource, and alot of fun to shoot the bull with. That's something you don't get from alot of the larger retail outdoor stores out there!

Joel

Swung in there today actually.....I believe it was my first ever.....or at least in 20 years. Very nice shop, the guys new stuff. But had never heard of Little-Atom???? Or the Custom Jigs and Spins Diamond jigs??? Matt you are going to have to train them in on Pannie jigs! Bought myself a Rose-Creek box for the Ice flies and will almost be set for winter.

Quote:

Iffwalleyes what did you order? I have a custom walleye rod that I know is going to be the cats meow up there.

It is pretty much based off of the Med. Hvy Sweetheart plus but a tick longer (still short enough for in a house) with a longer handle and then I picked the colors I wanted. It should be really nice for the larger jigs need in the river current. The regular sweetheart worked pretty good so I am sure this will be just a little better.

Just want to say that Thorne Bros Customer Service is A+++

I purchased a fly box from them, and well it didn't suit me well so they were more than happy to let me exchange it. No questions. Now that's great service.