• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Downtown Carp

I live in downtown minneapolis about a mile from the mississippi river. I was wondering if anyone could give me a few locations where I might fish for carp. I have limited mobility (no car) so I have my eyes set around nicolette island and the area below the lock and dam. Any pointers would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

I have been wondering about the same. I think I am going to search the MN DNR site and find a few of the public areas to fish. I dont have quite the patience yet for carp. I have tried 3 times now without a carp to show for it but I have caught sheephead, bullheads and very small catfish.

I wish I had a few more fishing partners. As one is my gf and one is my little 12 year old brother. Which doesn't give me alot of options or time to seriously fish.

Goodluck wherever you go and please post if you find any areas that are holding anything. I did fish off of the Harriet Island pier and that held a ton of little fish. That might be a place I will go to again using a little different techniques.

hey Fishing Beast drop me an email maybe we can hook into some carp downtown some evening I got a couple of spots that have been pretty productive lately. I was out from 1130 to 2 today the fish were hitting hard not nibblin. We landed 8 in the 6 to 12lb range the first one was within a minute of fishin we broke 2 lines and almost lost 2 rods. I haven't seen them bite so hard consistantly this year no nibblers at all. that was fun

I fished underneath the stone arch bridge for a good 4 hours the other day. Nothing much was happening until about an hour after dark. I caught a pretty decent sized channel catfish, I'd say a good 6 or 7 pounds. I also caught 4 carp ranging from 4 to 8 lbs. I found quite a few other places to try so I will keep everyone posted.

I have caught some large carp at the Bohemian Flats park area in the past. A buddy of mine had a really nice rig get pulled in there too. We mostly use doughballs and corn when out carpin'. We've caught carp up to 20lbs at that spot and across the river upstream a little there is land owned by the U that produces pretty well. There is more current at the U of M spot due to the lock & dam systems near by. If carp aren't bitin' there something else should be. We've caught big channel cats, Flatheads, and smallmouth bass and most everything else that swims the river.

Bohemian Flats is right off West River parkway. Just upstream of the Washington ave. bridge. You can see the bridge from there. There is a sandy/gravel section at upstream end of the bohemian flats to fish from.

sent email.

Went out last night below Harriet Island a little ways. Caught 2 very small catfish and nothing else. Did get a few good hits but they let go.

The spot did not look like a great one though so Friday I might be able to search out a new one.

Carp bite very well in the fall. They put the feed bag on to bulk up for winter, and since the major insect hatches are over and the remaining larvae are in diapause, food is hard to come by so they hunt and feed agressively. Fall is a good time to go after 40+ pounders, if you can find a place where they don't get shot before they grow up.

How has the bite been? I got out today on a new spot but did not product anything. Still searching for a spot that is hitting. Wasn't able to cast into great looking water though. These spots show that they have been used quite a bit though so I cant be in too bad of spots.

Anyone notice if they are holding onto a certain type of structure? I have tried near trees, rock pts, and sand flats. All of these while fishing on shore.