• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Master Angler Program

PanfishSeeker

I was just wondering what people thought of the Master Angler Program here in Minnesota. There just isn't alot of people, that i've seen, that have won awards. Is it that hard to catch those fish, or does no one sign their fish up?

I don't think too many people sign their fish up.

1 pound crappies are caught throughout the fishing seasons and in both black and white. 1 pound sunfish/bluegills are a little tougher to come by, but they are caught throughout MN as well...

I would consider a 1 pound sunfish/bluegill to be a nice fish, but a 1 pound crappie is a little low in my eyes for a Master Angler award. Maybe a 1.75 pound crappie (14-incher or so... non-Red Lake wink.gif) would fit the bill a little better...

There must be a couple different Master Angler programs then. One of them says 1-pound for a sunfish and 1-pound for a crappie (both black and white)...

I like the 15-inch class for crappie much better... a 1-pound sunfish/bluegill is a nice fish no matter where you are, and a 11-incher should definitely be consider for the Master Angler program...

maybe you were looking at the youth harvested length and weight, which is considerably smaller than the norm. The site I was looking on is minnesotafishinghalloffame.com it has the info, and requirements per specie also. The reason I was wondering is there is so few people who are listed on the site. I think besides myself there were just a few other pumpkinseeds caught and they were all the youth size.

MN Master Angler program is at the Minnesota Fishing Hall of fame. www dot mnfishinghalloffame (Contact Us Please)

Crappies have to be 2 pounds 4 ounces if kept, released is 15 inches.

I have a couple of master angler awards

Quote:

I was just wondering what people thought of the Master Angler Program here in Minnesota?

I think a lot of people aren't even aware that one exists. I believe other states run their Master Angler programs better. Maybe it could improve here by promoting it better and making the public aware of it.

In-Fisherman has a good Master Angler program as well. The requirements for a "master" fish are much higher than the MN requirements, and I think they are more appropriate as well. The MN requirements are really on the light side for all species IMO.

I never got around to submitting my entries but I've had a number of "master" channel cats, a flathead cat, a walleye, and a lake sturgeon already this year.