• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

How old do they learn?

outdoor ran

Dog's can/should be trained their entire life. They never quit learning just like people never quit learning. Pro's that compete with their dogs are constantly working with them even when they are 8-9 years old. There's always a "hole" your dog has that can be worked on. My dog has so many "holes" she could be called a sieve.

I agree with GSPman... they are never fully trained. They will always learn, and you should work with them through their entire life. I have a 10 1/2 year old male that had some success in trials, he has a pretty artheritic stifle so his training pretty muched ceased over the past 2 years... boy can you tell the difference.

I'd say a "finished" dog will be in the 2 1/2 - 4 year old range, depending on the dog, the training and the trainer. I typically figure I have about 6 - 7 years of hunting in a dog after they are finished. You can usually squeek out another year or two on the tail end and obviously you have 2-3 years of work while they are learning.

Good Luck!

Ken

Thanks guys. I'm in the process of training my first lab. I have so much to learn myself. I've been expecting big things out of him a little to fast I think. I come in the house frustrated and my wife keeps telling me. Hes only 7 months old smirk.gif Was just wondering how long the window was open for teachng him. Sounds like I have some time, thats good cool.gif