• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

slabzillas

DEADhead

Fisherdog, a friend and I fished an area lake today and got into some nice crapppies. Marabou jigs and fatheads was the bait of choice today. The biggest fish caught today was 1 lb 12 oz and about 14 inches. The other fish were not too far behind in size.

fdoganddhyi1.jpg

dhandnoahqa9.jpg

fdogvr7.jpg

noahgd4.jpg

me2qe2.jpg

Deadhead, Nice fish! They look like a cross Between a SLABZILLA and a SLABASAURUS REX shocked.gifgrin.gif!! Were they in deeper water suspended or in shallow relating to the weeds? I will be fishing in that area the next few days and was wondering what patterns are running out there for the slabbers.

Nice fish guys but I think either your scale is off or you didn't measure right, because a 14 inch crappie is usually between 1 lb 3 oz to 1 lb 8 oz. So I bet your crappie was closer to 15 inches, unless it was unusually thicker than most. But nice fish.

the scale is not off. The backs on these fish are incredible, pushing 2 to 2.5" thick! I've never seen crappies that thick before. They put the URL slabs to shame for their size. We are figuring that a 15" fish out of that lake will break the 2# mark.

Scale is correct, they are very thick fish, and their body cavities are full of fat. A guy we know caught one that was just barely 15", and it weighed 2lb 6oz, he is getting it mounted. They are the LARGEST crappies I've seen, and I've seen some big ones as far as thickness is concerned. I'd like to see how heavy a 16" is, I'm sure there's some in there.

Fisherdog

Those fish are definitely thick in size! Crappies can vary and the length-to-weight conversion charts are not always accurate, they are just rough estimations. I've seen some 13-inch crappies that would out-weigh most 14-inch crappies. I've also seen 15-inch crappies that weigh the same as other 13-inch crappies. It all depends on the lake and the conditions where the fish live...

Wow those are some thick crappies for that size..sorry guys I didn't mean give you a hard time about your scale, I just thought that maybe it was off. But if they are that thick thats a great lake for producing big crappies. The pictures are nice but they don't do justice if your not there in person I always say. Like Matt said and I agree each lake is different for how it produces it's panfish and the rate they grow at. But nice fish guys and sounds like they are true slabs!!