• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

? about teens driving atvs

arcticcat400

hello i just had a ? about this i am a 15 year old and have taken the atv training and was wondering if it would be legal for me to drive my 4-wheeler out to my fish house which is only about a 1/4 mile down the road and then im on the lake and was just wondering if this would be legal or if i happened to see a CO while out on the lake what would they say thanks in advance

arcticcat400,

1st...for 15, you showed great responsibility in asking the question. Not many, including adults, would be responsible enough to even ask when in doubt. Great job!

2nd...at the top of this forum, I placed a thread that contains the link to the ATV Regulations. In it, it states..

Age 12 through 15

ATV safety certificate valid only after successfully completing BOTH the independent study and riding safety training components, and must be able to properly reach and control the handle bars and foot pegs while sitting upright on the seat (see fit requirements).

May operate an ATV on public lands and frozen waters and make direct crossing of roadways with a valid safety certificate ONLY when accompanied on another ATV by a person 18 or over who has a valid driver's license.

Must wear approved helmet while operating on public lands and frozen waters, and when crossing road rights-of-way

The above is probably not what you wanted to hear, if you planned on riding alone. As for the road riding, you need to check with your town law enforcement to see what the laws are for that town. Towns differ when it comes to what's legal and what isn't.

And, always make sure the ice is thick enough before venturing out.