• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Now is the time to condition for fall trips (you and the dog)

setterguy

With legal hunting just more than a month a way now is the time to get those dogs out and let them gain some stamina before the season kicks in. It probably wouldn't hurt most of us either to get out and do a little walking to get the legs ready for the year. Mornings and evenings will be cooler, remember to not over do it with the dogs as they need some time to get back into shape. Even if your dog is not overwieght it does take time to get the legs and lungs back in prime condition.

You guys do anything special for this?

My dog will be 4 weeks past surgery in a week and can start full activity again. He's been locked up in the house and on leash for the past 3 weeks. Can't wait to let him out!!

Thanks for the link. My pup is about 15 months old and just had surgery for ED in one elbow and also has mild HD in both hips.

Would you still recomend this?

This doesn't teach them to pull when on leash, does it?

Don't know if I'd recommend or not. Labs4Me might have an opinion. I'd probably call your vet too. Generally pointers don't have joint issues like HD so I don't have much experience in that dept.

I started a couple weeks ago myself. Now the only problem is she doesn't want to quit. When we wake up in the morning I let her out to use the bathroom and the first thing she does is run to the spot where I throw her dummies from, sits down, and stares at me. It's 5:00 in the morning and she wants to train. I would throw for her too, but I don't want her to go back in the house and drink a bunch of water and then have to hold it all day. After work we head out to a nearby snowmobile trail and run for an hour or so. She's in better shape than me, that's for sure! smile.gif