• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Huntin Dog Stories

Dee.M.Zee

Anyone have any really memorable stories of your hunting dogs that you'd care to share? My favorite story about my Lab is that when he was about 3-4 months old My wife and I had taken him to my parents Farm in NW Wisc. for the day. Well it happened that my dad was out goose hunting with his GSP,so myself and my Lab went out to join him. Well a little while later we have this huge flock of geese fly overhead and my dad lets loose on one of them,it falls in the next field over.My dad's GSP was leading the way with my pup following his every move:) My dad's dog found the bird,what came next is where the story gets good. Once my dad's dog found the goose,Jake(my Lab) ran up and grabbed ahold of that goose and started dragging it towards the farmhouse. That goose was twice as big as he was!!:) Lol!! My dad and I let him drag it the entire way,when we got back he had blood from head to toe. My wife was horrified when she saw him but he had a great first experience.:)

This particular story didn't happen during hunting season. Me and a buddy were up north at his parents farm and goofing around out in the woods looking at new places to build deer stands or something like that. We were following a creek upstream on a deer trail with my lab. I wasn't paying too much attention to Mav, he was mostly right behind us smelling everything. Well when me and my buddy decided to turn around and go home Mav was nowhere to be seen. I hollered. Nothing. Waited a few minutes and hollered and whisteled and still nothing. Now I'm getting PO'd. Wait a few more minutes and hollered some more. It must have been almost ten minutes when he finally showed his head and there in his mouth as a mallard hen. Looked like a hawk or something had gotten one of it's wings earlier that month because it was all mangled but healed over. Well my anger quickly went away and I took the hen out of his mouth. You could see in his eyes how proud he was to have found it. And it's not like he ever chased ducks either. In the city at the lakes I could throw a dummy over a duck and Mav would swim right past the ducks and retrieve the dummy.

I have two that I really like, one for each dog. First one happened about 8 years ago, just when I got into grouse hunting. I took my dog up to a State Forest and we headed down a trail. About 5 minutes into the walk as my dog is just ahead of me I hear a very deep, raspy WHHHUUOHGH!!! My dog runs into the woods to investigate, about 5 seconds later he comes running out and right past me about 100 miles an hour. I don't know what he found back there, and I don't want to know.

Second one happened when my little female was about 9 months old. It was her first grouse season, and I had been training hard to have her stop at the faintest hint of scent. While she is making her way through the woods she tries to slither underneath a fallen log, while she is half way under she goes on point. I thought she was stuck, but it turned out there was a grouse on the othe side of the hill. I wish I would have had a camera, as she sat there her chest about 1 inch of the ground and her back all contorted.