• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

fertilizer schedule

setterguy

Does someone have a list or site that would explain when to apply fertilizer/weed control that I could just tack up in my garage to remind me every year when certian things should be applied?

3 holidays... memorial, the 4th, and labor day...

If you need crab grass control, do that when the lilacs are blooming.

Works for me and all my clients that follow it.

Good luck!

Ken

I agree with the above post as this is what I do every year.Just dont put to much nitrogen on or you will be mowing all the time.The nitrogen content is the first number of three on your fertlizer bag.I do my crabgrass when the morels are ready to pick which is the same time that the lilacs bloom.

I spray for broadleafs usually in middle June.This year I did not have to spray for anything.I use mec-amine 2,4d which is sold at fertilizer plants.Dont spray your lawn for broadleafs when it is very dry as your lawn is already stressed and you could burn some grass.

The only thing I'll add to Labs' post, you may want to think about putting down a decent winterizer fertilizer around mid October. Something with a low "N", and a decent slow-release percentage.

This will help out tremendously if you're the type that wants a deep dark green lawn as soon as the snow is gone. Well, maybe not the instant the snow is gone, but you'll get green-up much faster.

My dates are May 15th, June 30th, September 15th and October 15th in my program, so essentially the same as Labs' post.

Also, try to buy fertilizers with slow release properties, not from the Ag place where it's just straight fertilizer. This way you don't get a huge shot of your product right away, and then by the time you get to your next round, your lawn is "starving" again.

Also - setterguy, if you see a white Dodge pulling a 24' enclosed trailer with green lettering all over the side, "J & H" mowing grass, that's me, stop by and say hi.

Thanks guys for the advice, its up and hanging in my garage. One more question, any temp that I should avoid? I haven't fertilized yet, as my sod went down in early June. Should I wait until Sept when temps are cooler? Hey lwnmwrman, do you do any work in FL? You should shoot me an email, we should talk.

[email protected]

Definately avoid the heat if you are not watering regularly. That would mean having a sprinkler system or someone that waters with sprinklers religiously.

When its 85* or higher is a good place to start. You should never spray herbicides above this temperature because the active in gredients get volitile and can drift to non-target plants causing unintentional damage. Fertilizers can cause burning, especially granular ferts if they don't get watered in a timely manner.

Most companies will provide 5 applications during the year,

Early spring - fert + crabgrass pre-emergent

Late Spring - fert + broadleaf control

MId-summer - Fert if not too hot or too dry

Early fall - Fert with broadleaf control

Late fall - Winterizer fert high in Potassium for root growth

Chem-Lawn will try to pass 7 applications off, saying it's better to fertilize a little, a lot.

4 or 5 applications are all that's needed.

The mid-summer application like Powerstroke listed, there's many times where that application is not done, as in this year for example.

Setterguy - Forest Lake is where 75% of my work is, mainly commercial accounts.