• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Morels!

A spring just wouldn't be a spring without a few buckets of our favorite little fungi, would it? So here's my version of morel magic. . .
>Find some (the hardest part)
>Gently cut off mushroom just above base of stem with knife, leaving part of stalk in the ground-- this allows mushrooms to regenerate in the area.
>Don't tell anyone where you found 'em (even harder)
>Soak mushrooms for several hours in salt water (this rids 'em of insects, etc.)
>Slice into halves (lengthwise) if you wish; dip in milk and beaten egg.
>Roll battered mushroom in crushed cracker crumbs--garlic and herb flavored if you wanna do it right.
>In pan, heat 1/2 inch of Canola oil to nearly steaming (good hot oil is essential, else you should end up with soggy fried morels-- gaaack!).
>Gently place morels in heated oil, sizzling for a few minutes on each side 'til golden brown.
>Place mushrooms on paper towel on platter and sprinkle with a dash of seasoned salt and black pepper.
>Eat as an appetizer for fresh caught channel cats or in a pinch, stream trout'll do.
Don't you feel sorry for those poor non-outdoorsy types?

-a friend called Toad

Sounds like a great recipe Toad. I have never been able to find the little tasty buggers even though I turkey hunt. So I will only read about it and wish. Sometimes at work I feel like a mushroom especially after the big company meetings!

Sounds like a great recipe Toad. I have never been able to find the little tasty buggers even though I turkey hunt. So I will only read about it and wish. Sometimes at work I feel like a mushroom especially after the big company meetings!

I've seen wild mushrooms in the woods and around Grandpaw's farm in Michigan, but not being able to distinguish between those edible or poisonous, I opt to leave them alone. Think I'll get a field guide and give em a try.

johann