• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Stormwater Runoff pond for irrigation

Trouthunter

Has anyone pumped water out of a pond for irrigation? Any permits, issues, etc that I should be aware of? Where is a good place to research what it would take to be legal about this? I am having my irrigation system installed within a month or so and would like to have the ability to use my pond as a source, rather than city water...perhaps a valve to switch between the two? Any thoughts?

I have installed many systems just like the one your're describing. I would install a transfer valve that would allow you to water from city water should the pond dry up, or be treated with chemicals that you wouldn't want on your lawn. Every city is different about rules and regulations and I would check to make sure that there are no ordinances prohibiting pumping from the pond as you will make a large investment in the pump, filter ect. I would suggest a multi-stage pump that doesn't require relay. Irrigation systems that are well/pump supplied can be very touchy with keeping the pump from cycling. Sometimes it can come down to 1/2 gallon a minute difference. Your yard will benefit from the pond water as it will be filled with nutrients and act as natural fertilizer. If you have any other questions feel free to post them here. I have been in the irrigation industry for 15 years and should be able to answer most questions.