• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Oriole Question

Headin' North

We put up an Oriole feeder this year and a couple showed up.They love the grape jelly and had been visiting frequently.However,I noticed last Monday that they quit singing,and no one had been eating the jelly.My question is;Is this normal behavior?Maybe they have little ones and don't want to attract the neighborhood Coopers hawk.I have found baby bird heads in the lawn,bitten off.I'm assuming it's a cat that did that,but no clue as to what type of bird it was.I did see the pair just a few minutes ago,but I'm wondering why they suddenly stopped all the serenadinding.I kind of miss their morning and evening concerts.

Had a couple males fighting over the nectar feeder yesterday. They'd been absent for awhile and was thinking they were likely eating some of the same insects they were feeding the fledglings. Anybody here feed them mealworms during that timeframe? Think I'd rather eat the jelly personally. smirk.gif

I tried mealworms Dotch,but it was a little too early and the army of sparrows found them instead.Took over the Oriole feeder ( 1/2 jelly,1/2 mealworms )so I went straight jelly.Cured the sparrow problem,but I'd like to offer a little variety.Speaking of bird fights,an Oriole and Robin,both males,went at it just before they stopped singing.I have seen the male oriole since then though.

The orioles around here were quiet for a few days, now they're back singing every morning and evening.

I don't know, if there's a cat out there decapitating birds, that may be your answer. There's a black and white feline that crouches by our bird bath. My pellet gun is now out and at the ready.

Its normal behavior for orioles to stop coming to feeders, they move into the bug eating nesting phase. How do you carry nectar to a nestling? Every year we get lots of oriole activity in the spring on oranges and grape jelly, then they will stop coming to the feeders, yet I see an occaisional one flying around and I see their nests when the leaves fall. It also depends on your yard, if you have lots of mature trees and shade, they will come around longer. My mom is still getting orioles at her feeder, but she has lots of big trees where our deck is more open. Enjoy them while they're there.

It's the same way with hummers. Spring migration brings both to the nectar feeders, but once the eggs are hatched rarely see females there anymore. It's only males until mid August, because the males abandon the females, and the females switch to high-protein insects to raise their young. When the young are old enough to fly in August, then it becomes a total zoo at the nectar feeder.

Hey Dotch.After reading some of these replies,I put out the meal worms again.The male Oriole is going nuts on them.I've had to refill the cup 3 times a day.He chows on them and then takes a mouthful to his nest.I've got a couple of pics,but I'm having trouble resizing them through phtobucket.

HN: Resize your photos in whatever photo program you have before loading them to photobucket. If you put them at either 72 or 96 dpi and size horizontals to 600 or 700 pixels across and verticals to 400 or 450 pixels across before saving them, then load them on photobucket, they'll be great.

Say, Headin' North or anyone else: What do those mealworms cost? Just curious as the house/English sparrow reduction program this year has been so effective here, may eventually allow use of mealworms as another food source. For the birds, not me...lol!

Hi Dotch.It's 8.99 for 500 and 12.99 for 1000ct at one of the popular chain bird stores here in the cities.I need a good sparrow reduction plan too.I hate seeeing them get aggressive toward the "desireable" birds around the feeders and bird bath.They seem to challenge every other bird.

Thanks Headin' North. Several males comig to the nectar feeder today. Sparrow control might be a good topic to start a thread on to compare notes. I'd certainly contribute and be interested to see what others are doing in that department.

On a separate note, don't remember who posted the pics of the baby orioles awhile back but I'd sure like to thank you. Was hearing strange bird calls scattered around the yard the past couple days and finally was able to spot what/who was making the noise in the apple tree. Orioles are still relatively new birds to our yard so it took a minute to recognize the winged fuzzball with the yellowish front & sharp beak. Then that picture came to mind. The parents showed up moments later confirming the ID. Thanks to the photographer, whoever you were. cool.gif

Great! A sparrow reduction topic would be handy. I plan on setting out bluebird houses for next spring. Would hate to have them loose their nest. Orioles have been quiet around here, not even younguns. I did notice a large mess of black feathers under the bird bath and a decapited baby bunny the other day. I'm thinking serious feline reduction plans. mad.gif

The finches still chow down on the orange halves and grape jelly.

I second BOTH reduction plans MT.I scared a cat out of the backyard at 4:30am the other day,but on his way out,he grabbed a baby cardinal by the wing out of a dogwood.One rock later,he dropped the cardinal and bolted.The cardinal flew up to a safer location.I'd love to haul out the 870,but the authorities frown on that sort of thing.

No, that won't do to try to explain that one. good catch in throwing the rocks. I find myseklf jumping out of bed inthe AM to check the bird station and bird baths first thing.

My wife is still battleing the squirrels. Almost seems like something from Caddyshack. Squirrels are digging up and chewing off her flowers. I think the live trap idea might work well for both squirrels and cats. Catch the cat and a trip to the humane society where it will cost the owner some $$$ to reclaim fluffy.

Strange, still no orioles around here lately. I would have expected them to bring their young to the bird station for an easy meal.

Yeah the squirrels,cats,pidgeons and sparrowns are a challenge.Good idea about trapping fluffy.An update to the cardinal situation.I think he hurt his wing flapping in the mouth of the cat.He hops around the back yard,but can't fly much at all.I think I'll live trap him and bring him to the rehabilitator in Roseville.

Headin' North, hopefully you can catch that cardinal and bring him in. I didn't realize there was a rehab place. Any pics of the cardinal?

I put out some mealworms to attract the orioles back and hopefully some bluebirds. Mother oriole came in scoping out the mealworm tray but the chickaddees zipped in and had a feast I may run out of mealworms faster than I realize.

It's the Wildlife Rehabilitation Center on Dale about a mile north of Hwy 36.They do ask for a donation,which I'm always happy to provide.They'll even send you an email as to how your critter is doing.I'll try to get some pics this weekend.Yeah the Chickadees love those mealworms.I go through a bunch but that's ok,I like those little guys.I just keep it full for them and the Orioles.