• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Good Crappie size?

Fishin4Life

I was out tonight on White Bear, was using a small pan fish spinner bait and got into a group of crappies. One right after another. I usually don't fish much for crappies, but one I measured was 12 inches. Is this a good size crappie, or is it pretty average? This is the first time I went out to really target them so I am kind of new to them. I did catch about 2 or 3 more in the 12 inch size range, so I am thinking it is fairly average. But just thought I would check. They are fun to catch though!

A 12-inch crappie is a nice fish. I would consider that above average for the Metro Area lakes. Usually the Metro pumps out a ton of 8-10 inchers...

Red Lake crappies are typically 12-14 inches on average, just for a scale of reference...

Hey thanks for the info matt. As per your suggestion they were all caught on spinners! Thanks for the info, I think I read that in one of your articles on your HSOforum. Lots of great information! Thanks!

I really enjoy throw spinners for pannies. BDR and I have done very well using them throughout the years. I know BDR has landed tons of nice gills on them this spring and summer so far. A great search lure that covers a lot of water and really draws out the aggressive fish. And it's amazing how many gills really pound those small-profiled spinner-baits!

Matt's right. Twelve inches is a very nice crappie. I feel that crappies tend to grow more in bulk than in length as they get older so anything a foot or longer should be a pound plus.

I use the small number 0 mepps spinners and have great success for sunfish, crappie, and bass. I also add a little 1" exude twister tail.

Matt uses a variety of other spinners sold by some of the sponsers on the site that I have not tried and can not comment on but the reports indicate they work very well.

The 1/16, 1/32 or 1/64 mimmic minnow is also a crappie killer fished with spinner of just tossed as a jig of the breaklines

Both "spinner-bait" style and in-line Mepps spinners will work well for panfish. Bettle spin style spinners like the Tadpole Spin work well...

big14tadpolespingroup.JPG

The Mepps Aglia Spin Fly is another option...

sf_water.jpg

I like the Aglia Spin Fly because it's a single hook, and you don't have to mess with a treble hook when dealing with the pannies...