• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Fly/Sight Fishing for Carp

Howdy Everybody,

I am looking to get into carp on a fly rod. I fish for them occasionally drowning a worm in rivers, but would really like to see what kind of bend they can put in my fly rod. I'm looking for wadeable water around the Twin Cites, preferably where I can see 'em to sight cast to them.

I know for other species of fish people are somewhat tight lipped about bodies of water or locations, but after seeing bodies of water communicated on this board I figured someone might be willing to help a guy out.

Thanks for any help.

Marc

Marc-

Lake Nokomis is infested. Seriously, I was out there today and they were all over. Plenty to go around. I was using an ultralight spinning reel on a fly rod, and trust me, they can bend it. There are carp in there upwards of 15 pounds, so bring a big net and plenty of backing.

Try the shallow areas in the southwest corner of the lake. Good luck.

Normally, I don't like to give away any spots, but this is carp we're talking about.

Ben

Thanks HuskerBen . . . Got out there last night. You weren't kidding about carp infested water. They are absolutely everywhere!! I ended up getting 2 carp in a couple hours on the fly rod. Was pretty happy with that.

Maybe I'll see you down there sometime.

Marc

I was out there a few times in the last couple of days. I've done okay. They're spawning right now, so it's tough to get them interested in food. I've been hooking into a couple fish each time out, though. I had a huge one on the other night, and I just couldn't get her into the net. She broke me off as I was trying to get my hand around her tail.

I'll be out there again soon. I just got a bigger net, so I might have a little better luck this time.

Ben

I just wet wade through the shallows usually. Was down there over the weekend also, and noticed the carp are on the outside of the weed edge instead of right up close to shore. Still not too far out though.