• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

tree swallow (pics included)

Nice pics Johnny! Heres one I took recently. I don't think some people ever get a close enough look at these speed merchants to know how irradescent they really are. shocked.gif

treeswallowupclose24eq.jpg

Great photos of some of my favorite little bug eaters guys. Along with the barn swallows here, they help keep the insects down substantially.

Amazing birds. They took over our bluebird houses and have become tame enough to get within a few feet of. Pretty cool looking in the sunlight. Have found quite a few dead in the boxes. Only have a few sparrows but think they are the culprits. Pellet gun is at the ready but they have wised up quick.

As watching birds goes, few things irritate me more than finding a female tree swallow pecked to death in a nesting box by a house sparrow. The trapping I've done has really helped but it hasn't eliminated the little @#*%'s. Need to find the time next season to perfect the in-box traps I've read about. Having as many kinds of boxes as I do, it takes some improvisation. They got wise to those I tried. I caught tree swallows and wrens (released them) but no sparrows after it was obvious a male sparrow had claimed the nesting box as his. I hear you about the pellet gun Bryce. They see it and they fly out of range. Seems to work best as a nighttime weapon here in the sheds when I can eliminate them from their roosts. Even the .22 has limited usefulness but they haven't figured out the 20 gauge yet... grin.gif

Back to the tree swallows: Last nite as I was finishing up mowing the windbreak I was scolded until well after dusk by the pair who commandeered an old bluebird house I had salvaged. It was made by my brother's late father-in-law, a full blood Finnlander who I had a great deal of respect for. He would've been proud that I'd taken a piece of junk and with scraps & spare parts, made it functional again. Waste nothing was his motto and judging by all the stuff they hauled out of his house when he died, he was serious about it. Was just happy to see the tree swallows eying the house within minutes of when I'd put it up, thanks to Reino Jokinen. Think they'd thank him too if they could. Have a good Memorial Day all!